stump grinding work

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 099f350, Oct 14, 2006.

1. 099f350

099f350 LawnSite Member

hi all,
    im thinking about getting a stump grinder to do some part time work. my question is how busy could one stay with a fair amount of advertising. just looking to make a few bucks and help out with the kids college expense.
    thanks in advance!
    brian

2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

if youre looking for full time i have only seen one guy called mr stump driving around here i dont know how well he does but contact a couple tree companies and talk to them about subbing work to you do you know about pricing also we get all our stumps into 1 or 2 days like twice a year and rent one and go to town

3. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to watch close for them (other stump cutters) in your area, check the Yellow pages of the areas around you, check the papers for ads, once you own one its like they come out like army ants. My area used to be really good for stumps, I got about a year and a half of big use before the market was swamped and the rates went so low I hardly use my machine other than for current clients and prior stump customers, They are a high maintenance machine and you can not afford to run them very cheap. 1 set of teeth for mine run 300 bucks and if I'm lucky I can sharpen them twice, if the tooth don't lose a carbide tip.
    I only go out for top rate now, minimum 60 dollars, 2 bucks an inch, most others are under cutting me by a buck or less an inch. I don't care my machine is paid for and it don't cost me for it to sit and wait for a good job over losing on a job.

4. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Stumper1620 had some good advise. Watch your target area and see how many grinders are running around. Do you have alot of lawn timber. Many new developments have all the timber cut before building a new sub-division. Get out and ride your market and then put all your info into making a decision. I can only tell you how the business worked for me when I began 7 years ago until now.

5. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Many tree services here have their own grinders and will do grinding only. It is a huge investment for a machine that doesn't take all day on a big stump.
    Wish I had one when Katrina hit, but now the easy money has been made.

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Seems like a huge investment for part time work

7. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes it is, and a slow ROI

8. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I dont know how much these machines cost new but it only costs $60 to rent one for 4 hours from places around here and you can do alot of average sized stumps in 4 hours. I would not consider buying a machine as expensive as a stump grinder because you could rent many many times before the rental expense would equal the cost of the machine. Just to cover myself, I tell my stump customers that the machine costs X amount and they have to cover this cost plus my labor cost. When you tell them this, many times they will contact their neighbors and friends to line up more work so they can share the cost of the machine. There is money to be made since most people do not know the first thing about removing a stump but the price of a new unit is just too much when you can rent for ALOT less and still make good profit.