Stump Grinding

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by RandyAndSons, Jan 24, 2006.

1. RandyAndSons

RandyAndSons LawnSite Member

Hello all i was wondering how much work is there in stump grinding i own a Lawn Care Business right now and was wanting to get in to stump grinding.
    Is it worth going out and geting a stump grinder and starting up in this type of Business. :eek:

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Why not advertise and see what response you get. Rent a unit if you need to. but I would not go out and spend $10.000.00+ to test a market.
    In my area there are already too many guys doing it for next to nothing to invest in it. If I come across the need I will just rent but I do not push to do it. It will only be part of another job.

3. RandyAndSons

RandyAndSons LawnSite Member

Thanks for your input.

4. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Even though there are already alot of guys in your area doing it, there is still room for another. Advertise and see how it goes, there is alot of money to be made in stump grinding.

5. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed, there is a lot of money to be made in that area. There's a company here called Just Stumps and they're busy 9 hours a day 6 days a week. You just never know; test the market and see what you come up with. By renting you will also learn the pros and cons of each machine so when you're ready to buy a grinder you'll know what to look for.

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

There's a company here called Just Stumps and they're busy 9 hours a day 6 days a week.

Also what do you want to do. Mow 6 days a week or grind 6 days a week.
    Or 3 and 3 and have thousands of dollars of equipment siting idle while you do the other.
    This business is already very equipment intensive. why make it worse?