Stump grinding

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by ChadsLawn, Oct 8, 2006.

1. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

A customer of mine has 6 palm tree stumps ground down. There almost ground level, But he wants them ground down more so I can mow right over them. There no bigger than 12" in diamater. I still have to price the grinder. My ? is, what should I charge to grind each stump?

2. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

I do stump grinding.Most guys charge by the inch and others charge by the stump.I find that if you dont do alot of grinding I would say charge by the stump.I myself charge by the inch.If you are going to charge by the stump and there right at or under 12 inches I would say 25 to 50 dollars a stump.

3. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

That seems to be the price around here. My neighbor just had one done for 50 dollars, but if you have 6, I would think 35.00 each would be fair. The grinder is probably 75.00 for 4 hours.

4. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

We get $50.00 for little stumps, if we cut the tree's and then $75.00 if we didn't. The real large ones can get in too the hundreds of dollars. We do a lot of stump grinding and can usually pick up a few of the neighbors when we show up to do a grinding job, so we schedule fairly loose on times so that we can work in add-on job in.

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

the guys that ground my stumps charged me $75 amd they were 20 minutes, trailer to trailer.

they were driving by the house and I flagged them down.

GEO :confused:

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would say it would vary based on the cost to rent the unit. I recently groud 3 stumps for a customer. They were pretty small like 8-14" in diameter. I charged $55.00 per stump plus $25 to cover transportation costs.

7. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I've done a few and I'll chime in here at $300, cleaned up, with dirt and a couple of sod patches.
    You'll have about $80-90 invested, so you'll clear about $200 in 4-5 hours.

Sell them on the idea that the stumps will totally vanish.

A couple of thoughts for you incase you have not done it this way before...
    Grind DEEP... to keep the rotting stump from killing the turf.
    Slighly mound up your dirt to account for the stump rotting out from under it, and because it will settle anyway.
    Throw a bit of seed around to finish it up.

I've made some good quick money and have had good results so far with the stumps I've done.