1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

stump grinding

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JTS Landscaping lawn, Dec 16, 2006.

1. JTS Landscaping lawn

JTS Landscaping lawn LawnSite Senior Member

thinking of adding stump grinding to my business is there good money in it and what are some of the rates for doing this.
  2. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Your not going to get rich at it........you can make some good money if you work it. You need to get a fairly large machine to get in it right. Being productive is a major factor. Rates vary by location and competition level.

I've been grinding for 7 years with no regrets. I operate a 50hp tow behind.

good luck
  3. Charlie Sierra

Charlie Sierra LawnSite Member

Hi Guys,

I stump grind from time to time but do not own a machine.

I get calls for stump grinding and tell people that due to the cost of the machine, I rent the tooling and then batch process the jobs. This way, my overhead stays low and they get a good price.

Most people go for it and when I have a full day's grinding lined up, I get the machine, tool up for the specific clean up and crank those jobs out.

Alot of people will wait a week or so quite happily.

I once asked some police officers and paramedics what landscape clean up procedures make a difference in their work and listed the basics I offer landlords. They said I had some good ideas but then said "what about stump grinding"?

Apparently, a lot of people get injured and a lot of property damage results from stumps. Just thought I would pass that along for your marketing efforts.

As to pricing, I have made good money at $1.75 per inch with a $75.00 minimum. However, I think I am actually pricing to low. The efficiency with which I process the jobs makes it profitable at this price point so I have not got around to changing it but think I should.

Any thoughts?

4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

We do not own one but usually rent the attachment for our dingo at 75 bucks.

Costs vary widely. Things to consider:

(1) Size of stump.

(2) Access to the stump. Is it easy for the grinder to get to?

(3) Prep work. Does dirt and rock need to be pulled back from the stump?

(4) Type of tree. Soft or hard wood?

(5) Roots. Are we following all roots from the tree?

(6) Depth. Grinding just to hide stump and let rot over the years or grinding to place another tree in its place?

Just some thoughts on what might affect the price.

And yes, we will line up stump grinding for a day or two worth of work so that we can rent the grinder for a day or two and factor the rental into all of the lined up jobs.

And yes there is money in it.
  5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I would sub it out. You are going to need a 30k machine to make real money. It also helps to have tree services that will refer work and sub it out to you. Most of the time they don't want to mess w/ it... which should tell you something.
  6. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I've been thinking about grinding too.
    How hard is it to get in with tree trimming/removal guys for stumps?
    Do they tend to like to do them too? Dunno, never seen one of them pulling a grinder, usually just the chipper.
    By just looking at what they pull around, I'd assume they leave a lot of stumps behind.
    In the right areas, it just might be worth it to get that 4 wheeled hydro Rayco.