Stump Grinding

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kjslawn, Nov 13, 2007.

1. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Stump grinding How much should I charge? Is there $ in this if I was to advertise? I currently do not own one

2. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Call a stump grinder in your area. We don't live where you do, so try closer to home. Anyways, as far as I know, in my area, they are stampeding each other to charge the lowest price...:laugh:

Good luck in your new endeavour. Btw, find out how much a machine is before you go too far. Might be a good idea to do some "in depth" research before you jump in...

:)

3. WeeDr

WeeDr LawnSite Member

Any time a customer asks my company to do any type of tree work I'll call on a couple Tree guys I know and have them bid on the job for me. I go with them when they go, and afterwards I mark the price up 10-20% what ever I think I can get away with. But on a personal note I have one 20 acre lot and a 67 acre farm, (and I don't have the same conections there as I do where I do business). I had 20 stumps ground on the 20 acre lot for $400, so 20 each. On the 67 acre farm I had 100 stumps ground for $650, which was 5/stump and $150 set up fee. I asked them about the price of there stump grinders and looked into them they range for 20-40k, so if you do decide to get into this know its going to take alot of stumps, to make your money back depending on what you charge, not to metiond you have to change the teeth on the grinder too.

Hope this helps,

WeeDr.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It varies from one stump to the next, we're talking anything from a little 4-inch diameter sapling's stump that might take all of 60 seconds all the way to some monster 2-3 feet in diameter thing that will take you the better part of an afternoon...

They make many different machines as well, thou this does not affect the customer's price it will affect your cost and profit... Anything from a self-propelled to a tow-behind, you almost need both to tackle most stumps but for starters I'd get a smaller unit.

The worst thing that will eat you is the teeth, and to a point belts and hydraulics, but the teeth...
    They dull quickly so you'll end up ordering large amounts of these carbide or tungsten-tipped things, they're not cheap.

I couldn't tell you what to charge, but have a minimum of like 30-40 and go from there, you'll want to practice with a few to see how long it takes, might be a good idea to rent a unit to see if it's something you'd want to get into.

5. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

That's the truth. It's not all that difficult to do so you get a lot of ex-tree guys that are tired of humpin wood out of backyards and other miscellaneous types trying to make a quick buck on a niche service. I think a lot of them are just looking for party money for the weekend :).

The ones who have good equipment, don't show up loaded, and are reliable can make a living at it. Don't waste your money buying a hand operated stumper. If was going into business I would consider something like this as the minimum equip. requirement.

http://www.stumpcutters.com/sc_sp4012.html

It's small enough to get into backyards and big enough if the teeth are good to handle larger stumps in a reasonable time.

Stumps are usually priced by the inch of diameter of the stump. Some go from $1-2/in on easy access larger jobs or $10+ depending on accessand how many.