Stump Grinding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ken50, Jun 27, 2004.

1. ken50

ken50 LawnSite Member
    from tx

I have a chance at a job with about ten stumps that need grinding. Can I get some ideas on what you guys charge for stump grinding?

2. ken50

ken50 LawnSite Member
    from tx

They are oak stumps and are about 6 inches across.

3. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

2-3 bucks and inch(with a min.) measure the widest part of the stump! Also take into account roots across lawn!

4. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

Cost about $75 bucks to rent stump grinder, then you have to pick up & return grinder( gas cost). Will take you between 10-20 minutes per stump to grind plus 5 minutues per stump for clean up. I own my grinder and would charge about $175.00 for the job,put I could do it in about an hour. You might get a bid from a tree service and just charge 10% more and make money with no sweat involved.

5. 2manymowers

2manymowers LawnSite Member

A while back I was going to buy my own stump grider. Then I found out how much they cost!!!!!!!! Holy Cow !!!!! Guess I'll have to rent one. :blob3:

6. cbelawn

cbelawn LawnSite Member

I would find a guy in that grinds stumps, have him do the stumps, i would do the cleanup and charge accordingly....bump him price!

7. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

see if u can l,ine up a bunch of jobs

8. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

If the customer doesn't want to spend the money, use a drill and drill holes into the stump. This allows water to collect in the holes and it's nice and shady for micro-organisms. It supposedly causes the stump to rot out a lot faster.

I've never actually done it, just read about it. But it makes sense.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

My brother-in-law did this to a stump three years ago. There is actually a chemical you pour on it as well as drilling the holes. It's still there and doesn't seem to be going anywhere to soon. Grind it, or look at it.

10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I have a chain saw style stump grinder. It works alright on the small stuff but takes too long on big stuff. We usually only do it for existing lawn customers when it helps to cut down on our time on site.