Stump grinding

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by eaglesongs, Jul 7, 2004.

1. eaglesongs

eaglesongs LawnSite Member

Approximately how long does it take to grind stumps (if I were to rent a stump grinder)?

I have 17 stumps, most about 18-24 in (pine) that I need to get rid of. I am just wondering how long it would take me if I rented a stump grinder. If it's going to take too long, then it's not worth it (not saving much $$ over getting it done professionally).

Any help?

Thanks,
    -ME :confused:

2. Big Joe

Big Joe LawnSite Member
    from MA

Lets just say you would be better off having someone with a bigger machine come in and grind them for you. I had 40 stumps to grind and thought about renting a machine also. Then I talked to a friend of mine that has a big stump grinder, not one of those small ones from a rental shop....He made no work of it at all...I could not imagine how long it would have taken me with a small machine....Sometimes it just doesnt pay to try and do it yourself....Just my thoughts....Joe

3. wjb123

wjb123 LawnSite Member

What Big Joe said.

I tried it myself and it just wasn't worth it. It was too expensive to rent a crappy machine. It was difficult to control and took a lot out of me. I was sore for days.

Next time I needed stump grinding I called a pro. It took him a fraction of the time and didn't cost much more than doing it myself.

4. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Forget it if you cant get the big grinder you will pay more for rental then you would hiring someone.

5. eaglesongs

eaglesongs LawnSite Member

Thanks, it seems everyone is in agreement...
    However, I'm pretty sure the grinder I would be renting is one of the big ones (requires a trailer hitch)... I would get it from the same place I got a 12-inch chipper.

It's $175/day. My friend, who has done this before, thinks we can do all 17 in 2 days. How much would a pro charge to do it?

-ME

6. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

You mite want to check the tree site.