stump grinding

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by vball2116, Jan 3, 2005.

1. vball2116

vball2116 LawnSite Member

Hey everyone,

This is my first post and I have a question. Im 16 and doing a landscaping project in the backyard of my house. I have a decent amount of stumps from trees that I have cut down. The biggest stump is about 9 inches in diameter. I really dont think I can rent a stump grinder from a rental store. Is there any other way to get these stumps out of the ground or grind them down somehow. I have tried getting a few out and I did get a few out, but not all of them want to come out. I will appreciate any tips or tricks that you may have for me.

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

Welcome to the site, Jeff!

The easiest way to get the stumps out would be of course a stump grinder. Is there a reason why you cant get one? Most rental stores carry them for a fairly cheap price. Other ways would be to inject glysophate (sp?) into them and they will rot away eventually.

Jason

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Jeff

Are the stumps cut all the way to the ground??? If so you are in Coal Country and can cut both ends out of a # 10 can to make a controlled burner. Start the coal with self lighting charcoal then add the coal. You really don't want a Flame. Keep adding coal until the stump has burned far enough into the ground. This may take several days.

Next time you take out a tree you may want to leave about 4 to 5 feet of trunk to hook on to. Pulling the trunk over with a truck or tractor while using an axe on the larger roots.

4. vball2116

Hey, today i did get one of the many stumps out buy digging a trench around it and I eventually got it out in an hour. lol It turns out i was using the wrong shovel and it wasn't sharp enough. Thanks for the info though.

Thanks,
    Jeff

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Jeff

I should of told you about a "Pony Shovel" It is designed for digging out trees with roots. Much heavier than a regular shovel with a straighter handle and round point.

6. vball2116

Thanks for the info, but i wont be doing any outside work for a few days because of the ice and snow comming. Thanks
    Jeff

7. indmowing

indmowing LawnSite Member

are you allowed to burn the bugger out

8. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

He's under 18 and can't enter a contract so they probably wouldn't rent him one or authorize him using one. If these are just at your house can you get a local tree guy to grind them for you?

9. DALMlawn&landscaping

DALMlawn&landscaping LawnSite Member
    from TX

get a half inch wood bit, and a large drill, and drill untill it can't drill, and then fill it with diesel and light the sucker, and then watch it burn slowly, it's great, other wise, use a shovel.

10. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

Couldn't he have an parent/adult over 18 to sign for him?

Jason