Stump Grinding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BufalinoLand, Jan 14, 2005.

1. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

who out there stump grinds. I do a little saw work. I see guys running around like crazy around my area with stump grinders. Im looking to get one. Can anyone show me the light. How much can a walk behind stumper handle. and let me know what i should get engine and brand wise. thanks

2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

i grind, i have a rayco 1620 super jr. this is great back yard machine, goes thru a 36" fence gate, i have handled stumps over 8' diameter, these big ones require a lot of time to get 5" underground, i wouldn't touch a walker unless its very small stuff you plan to use it on.
    when i bought mine used, it was 4500 with trailer and a 20 hp kohler, i changed that to a 24hp honda (600 dollars cheaper than 20 hp. kohler)
    modified the mounts. now i've got 7000 dollar machine for 5k.
    watch getting into stumping, lawn care lowballers are nothing compared to stumpers, i get under bid all the time, but those i do, i grind out to the root rise and all, can't even tell there was a tree there when i'm done. :D
    takes a long time to recoup investment, its ok as a part of business but too slow for a business of its own.

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Two choices, Rayco or Vermeer. Our tree contractor uses an RG 50..Awesome machine, and very fast. The 1625 is a good little machine for occasional, light duty removals..nothing you'd want to try and be competitive with large-scale. It takes alot of time to recover the cost of the larger machines , and as stumper said, unless you already offer tree removals, it's hard to do as a stand alone service.BTW-the RG 50 is pretty turf friendly as well. Rarely do we have too much turf repair after several removals at a property.

4. stumper1620

i've looked at the rg-50, very nice machine, but the price, ouch.
    i have a local tree climber, he cuts, i grind, we refer work back and forth between us, steer clear of overhead tree work, that puts a whole new spin on insurance, tree work is high risk, stumps can be considered as lawn care.
    steve
    :waving:

5. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a vermeer 206 with a new honda 20hp on it and a bag full of new teeth. I saw it and just bought it as an investment (got a great "moving" price on it). I'm not sure whether I should sell it or make some dough with it. I get about 5 or 10 calls a year for the service, so maybe I'll just put it on ebay?????????
    Anyone ever used this model?

6. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

what are you looking to get for that baby, my buddy from college lives near you maybe ill come down and get it

7. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

Man, I don't know. I usually put things on ebay and let the market decide??????
    I have to put the belts on and bolt the engine down. The engine has never been run (new honda). The machine is used, but fairly tight. Chipping wheel bearings seem great. I'm gonna get the engine on it and clean it up and change hydro fluid and see what it'll do.
    Having said that, I really don't see myself keeping it after I get it going well.
    Matt

8. stumper1620

If your willing to travel for one this is the place to look
    http://www.treetrader.com/cl/default.asp?action=home&pid=3
    lots to see on this site. :waving: