Stump removal??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bottlefed89, Sep 1, 2004.

1. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 LawnSite Member

Alright, I'm bidding a wall and it will require removal of a 60-70' silver maple. Basically, the tree is right next to the house. The tree will be removed, along with a retaining wall that runs along side the house. I will be building a new retaining wall in place of the old one, and they will pour concrete where the tree was in order to be able to park a car along side the house. The question is this: in removing stump's I've always pulled them or ground them. Do I need to worry about decay of the stump eventually leaving a big cavity if I just ground it, filled over it and they poured atop it?? I think it's to big to do any pulling, unless I do some serious digging and cutting.
    thanks

2. Kevinrmac

Kevinrmac LawnSite Member

If you can pull I out I would. If not grind it as deep as your grinder will allow, remove the grindings, and pack the hole with fill, or crush&run.

A friend just bought a house. The porch on the back was an add-on, and had a shed style roof. We put a pitched roof on to match the house. To make sure there was sufficent support, we dug under the edge of the 4" Concrete Slab (which was cracked). to put extra footers around it. While putting concrete in the new footers, and pushing it in, the hole wasn't filling up. Took a closer look, there was and hole about 6' diameter, 18 inches deep in the center of the slab. Talked to the previous owner.... Oh yeah, we cut a tree down there to put the porch on...

Long story short. Would hate to have their car fall into a sink hole in 10-15 years.

3. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 LawnSite Member

Yeah, so would I..

4. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Silver maple has a shallow root system. I think a large grinder would get almost all the wood if you grind it deep. I wouldn't worry about the small roots and you could chase the larger ones with the grinder.

If your going to be moving dirt around anyway, digging it up would be the best way. Grind the core out of the stump and a skid steer loader will get the roots fairly easy.

good luck

5. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd probably do as suggested, and if still not sure about the stability of the new slab, I'd dig some holes for some "pier" colums under the slab. Re-inforce everything out the butt and hope for the best.

Stuff like that I tend to over-engineer if I don't know for sure what it's going to do........

Dan

6. TREEGODFATHER

TREEGODFATHER LawnSite Member

If at all possible, I'd pull the stump.

Barring that, grind deep and wide.

7. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I would get every last root you can find out of there. An air pocket under a slab of cement and winter do not mix well. A crack would be desired, a sink hole is almost certain. The roots will decay and then your gonna have problems. Like I said, remove stump and roots and compact with topsoil or fill dirt.

8. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

YOu can air spade the dirt away from the stump and cut it out quite easily.

9. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

great idea :)