1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stump Removals

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Viseras lawn service, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Viseras lawn service

Viseras lawn service LawnSite Member
    from 6

I am planning on cutting down 8 "christmas" trees along my driveway. the trunks are about 8-10 inches in diameter and are about 10-15 ft tall. Once i cut them down i need to pop the stumps out to plant smaller shrubs and trees.

I was wondering if one of those mini excavators, like a 1.5 or even a 3/4 ton machine will be able to tear out these stumps.

I also have about 15 overgrown bushes in front of the house that need to be replanted, but they are between a paver walk way and the front of the house, will the machine be able to work in those close quarters and pop out the small 2-4 inch stumps/roots?

I was planning on renting one of the excavators in the spring from United Rentals, was also wondering if they are easy to use, or take alot of practice..

Thanks for the help!!
  2. Green Earth

Green Earth LawnSite Member

I'm assuming you are talking about white pines or blue spruces. Do not cut them off and try to dig the stumps out. Just take a skid loader and shove them over. They are very shallow rooted. They will come out in one piece and are allot easier to haul away. It will save you allot work and not near the ground damage. Then just smooth the holes over with the skid loader. You can also use a chain on them, but shove them over first. You may to shove one direction and then shove them the opposite direction to get all of the roots. :cool:
  3. Viseras lawn service

from 6

well im trying to minimize turf damage...so the excavator can sit on the drive way and pull them out....if i used the skid loader i would be risking breaking sprinkler heads/pipes and i would do significant turf damage driving on the lawn.

will it really be difficult to cut them off to a stump about 1 foot high and then just claw them out with the excavator?

Also, if i cut them down i can just drag them into the woods behind the house and cut them up...thats not a problem...if i pushed them over i would have to drive thru the back yard to dump them.
  4. Green Earth

Green Earth LawnSite Member

Rent a big enough excavator, Sit on the driveway, Take the arm and shove them over then either drag them back to the drive or take a chain and wrap around the arm and tree and lift them back to the drive. Then cut'em up and haul them back to woods. Sprinkler heads ? I have never seen sprinkler heads installed under trees. :rolleyes:
  5. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless the loader has wings, it has to get to its destination on the OTHER side of the trees via ground. (to work on both sides of the trees) Maybe some Red Bull in the tank...LOL
  6. Viseras lawn service

from 6

the bed runs along the drive way...about 6-7 feet wide...the heads are on the inner edge of the beds.,....i would have to drive the loader in that area and i risk crushing pipes and the heads....

seems that every1 says that it would be easier to knock them over rather than cut them.

I was going to get a machine close to this click here

Will it get the job done....either way?>
  7. Viseras lawn service

from 6

8. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

The easiest thing to do is hire a backhoe with a extend-a-hoe for a hour. That will not get into your yard, and it will be quick. Just stick the bucket in the back side of the root ball and curl it out. I think one of the mini trackhoes would also work, but get one that is about the same size as a backhoe. Trust me on this one; you will waste more time trying to do this with no experience, it will be cheeper to hire a guy with a hoe for $70 a hour.
  9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I think wanabe is right, you will thank yourself by just hiring someone with the machine already and let them do it. Won't take them long to do it. I am a bit confused though, you said they are in a turf area yet you want to put plants there instead? Are you going to make a flower bed out of it or just put the plants directly where the trees stood and mow around each of them instead of making an entire flower bed?
  10. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

flag the sprinkler heads & drive right around them. the only way that machine could damage pipe underground would be from total carelessness or the pipe would have to be exposed. the PSI on the ground is very minimal. as for using it near the house, if you have never run a machine like this take the advice already given and hire it done, one of these machine near a house is a hazard even for experienced operators. one wrong move of one of the control levers and you have a new picture window right where you don't want it.
    or maybe a shortened up eve on the house.
    If you do it yourself don't sweat the sprinkler pipe thats easy to do those bushes, the ones near the house that i would be concerned about additional damage. :D