Stump The Technician...Name That Failure,,,

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by piston slapper, Dec 3, 2012.

1. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Ahhhhh....but....the sparkplug clip on the end of that plugwire is replaceable...
    Pretty standard procedure....ain't it....???

2. piston slapper

I've been thinkin'.....maybe I was a little tough on Little Billy...
    I'm not really a hard hearted man...and being it is so close to Christmas....
    I'm quite sure a phonecall to my buddies over at Kohler might persuade them to push a warranty..
    Remember...a Kohler Tech can authorize a shortblock replacement. But not after 2 years..

Merry Christmas Little Billy

3. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Silver Member

Depends on how much money ya wanna make.....ribs ain't cheap!!!!!!!!

4. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Ahhh ha ! it helps to be on a first name basis with a Kohler
    Tech :drinkup:

But here is my question, why did the engine fail ? Was it just the
    welsh plug failing or is there more to it ? was it sitting to long ?

5. piston slapper

The welchplug fell out because it wasn't installed properly....waiting for a place to happen.
    The immediate loss of oil pressure to the rods really made a meal out of the engine..
    Everything busted like glass....found the welch plug sifting through the debris...

When trying to diagnose the primary failure on a scattered engine...look. for a piece of something that doesn't usually fail..

6. piston slapper

If I was gonna get rich..it would have happened a long time ago....
    There are a lot of poor people out there...just don't want to be one of them...
    I help when I can....me and the dogs eat pert near every day....

A few years ago I built an engine for a guy who owns a pork processing plant...he can't kill it..
    What comes around...goes around...pay it forward...

7. piston slapper

OK guys..I'll fess up...this one kicked my butt...

Changed the keyswitch and it was ok for a few starts...then back to no spark while cranking...
    Pulled the engine to keyswitch harness...the power wire to the keyswitch was holding on by a few strands of wire...
    The Failure.....voltage drop....not enough power could travel through the damaged wire..
    The starter solenoid was absorbing all the available voltage so there wasn't enough left to power the coils...until returning the key to the run position...

8. piston slapper

Question #14....Briggs 12 1/2 hp intek verticle

Condition....Went to start the engine...battery was weak and it didn't start..
    Replaced the battery....now the soleniod clicks but the engine won't turn over..

Name That Failure..

9. piston slapper

Question #15...Kohler CV25 hp

Condition...Doing a routine head gasket replacement...sent the heads to the local machine shop for resurfacing...
    Installed the heads..replacing the gaskets and lifters..now...the engine tries to start..and will start with starting fluid..but runs like junk...compression is now only 90 psi instead of 180 psi..

Name That Failure..

10. piston slapper

Question #16....Stihl 4mix polesaw..

Condition...Little Billy bought a new polesaw using some of that money he saved when he got the buy 1 get 1 Lazer Z's..
    2 weeks after he got it...his worker..(owners never make mistakes) figured because it said 4mix on the engine..it must be a 4 stroke...so it should run on straight gas...and it did for about 30 seconds..it didn't lock up but had no compression...
    Feeling a little broke after the blown engine on his new Lazer..(haven't told him we were going to warranty.it yet)...he replaced the fuel with the correct mix and cycled the primer to flush the carb...then he drops it off at the dealer to get it warranteed...

Will Little Billy get it warranteed..???..keep in mind that you can't inspect the piston without doing a teardown..