Stump The Technician...Name That Failure,,,

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by piston slapper, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Having never worked on a stilh 4 mix, I don't see why you couldn't pull the plug and take a gander....but I don't think it would be
    warranted

2. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Forgot to tell you...Little Billy is the Dealers son in law...and he was smart enough to exchange the sparkplug with another from a good running 4mix...hiding the evidence..

A pictoral on a Stihl 4mix would help a lot of folks...one real PITA engine to wrench on..
    Hint...hint....Ed2Hess....

3. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Silver Member

4. piston slapper

Well ...it shouldn't be warranteed...but then again ..a lot of stuff that should be warrateed by Stihl doesn't get covered..I'm thinkin if he's related to the dealer...possible warranty...

Breeze....you got it..

5. piston slapper

No guesses on 14 and 15.....
    Hints....
    14....it ain't the battery
    15....it ain't the battery either...

6. BigFish

They took too much off the heads, and some dummy forgot to shim the rockers, thereby allowing the lifters to keep the valves ever so slightly ajar.

7. BigFish

Alright, enough of this electrical bullchit! I'm pretty good with electrics, as are a lot of other posters, but you're coming up with some scenarios that are difficult to diagnose without fingerprintin' it! ( as you well know)
    #14 could be any number of things: bad ground , bad starter, starter stuck in the flywheel, locked engine, bad solenoid, bad cable etc., etc.
    The answer is clear in your head.............

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  8. piston slapper

You got it Fish...Briggs are notorious for the starter gear hanging up in the flywheel..

I try to give you enough info to eliminate most of the wrong answers...without making the answer I'm looking for too obvious....not a fan of multiple choice...
    Granted...the majority of these question are not geared fot the novice...but it ain't 3 level chess with invisible pieces..
    Perhaps these questions and answers will help someone debug a hard to fix engine someday..
    Perhaps......

9. BigFish

Actually, it is! ( I guess, I don't play chess)
    In this particular case ( based on your description), the only way to tell what is going on is to put yer grubby fingers on it! Either a test light, meter, paws on the starter case,...... you get my point!

10. BigFish