Stump The Technician,,,Name That Tool

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by piston slapper, Oct 26, 2012.

1. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Here are a few tools I have either made or modified to work on all that junk they bring in for repair...
    Can you identify the porpoise (sorry bout that Fish) , of all 10 tools ?
    Score of 7 out of 10 is about normal....Good Luck

IMG_0244.JPG

2. piston slapper

Hint...5 and 6 are used with an air hammer

If I see someone getting a free hat and jacket from Briggs at the update schools....
    With one of these contraptions....its OK...dont need another jacket....
    If you have a modified tool with a purpose...feel free to post it here....

3. piston slapper

Here's the first 4
    1..Holds the brushes in the endbell on a Kohler Magnum starter so you can assemble it.
    2..Quik clip to check ac volts on a regulator or rectifier.
    3..Kawasaki FC540 connecting rod tapped with adjustable bolt...used for turning the crankshaft while assembling the engine..
    4..Long thin needle nose pliers bent on the end to hold and install valve spring retainers on L Head engines..

If you guess correctly on #'s 5 thru 10...I'll let you know...

4. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Is 8 a door panel popper?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. piston slapper

#8 is a feeler gauge for adjusting valves on the Stihl 4mix engines.
    I cut a thin strip off a .004 feeler gauge and crimped one end in a ring terminal.
    The tape covers the connector...though not very well..

6. mowerknower

mowerknower LawnSite Senior Member

Ive got a few of my own special tools. My favorite is the Cable luber 2000, it is much better than my original the cable luber 1000.
    I also have made a special tool to remove the rub on gravely spindles, makes it possible to rebuild them instead of replacing them.
    Also have a splinde holder for triton deck spindles.

7. piston slapper

#6 is a driver for removing spindle shafts from spindles that use a thru bolt and nut to hold the blades on...Scag...Exmark...fits most of them.
    I rounded the head of a dixie chopper blade bolt into a circle and cut a 1/4 inch slot in it.
    this allows it to drive right past the key stock if it is still in the shaft..
    Bump it with an air hammer....

8. mowerknower

mowerknower LawnSite Senior Member

Oh come on, you dont need a special tool to get those shafts out. They always just slide right out. JK We actually had one tech quit one hot summer day trying to drive out the shaft on an old Exmark Viking. Those things can be a pain. Thats a good idea
    Another handy tip Ive found to remove the sheet metal pulleys on Gravel spindles is to take the AYP spindle self tapping screws and just use the air hammer to tighten them down. It will destroy the spindle (not a big deal if you are replacing them anyways) but the pulley pops right off.

9. joe billy

joe billy LawnSite Member

.It looks like #10 is a test tool for checking kawasaki ignitions with igniters.
    A Nova igniter installed on an alligator clip.
    #7 is probably just a spark checker with a prong on the side for a jumper wire to ground it when there isn't any metal close enough to the sparkplug wire .
    Not quite sure about #5 and #9.Who knows ?

10. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Slapper, you must be pretty old because that alligator clip on the rectifier looks like it came off a super old TV.

I'm barely old enough to remember those.