1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Stump The Technician,,,Name That Tool

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by piston slapper, Oct 26, 2012.

1. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Silver Member

That thar be a Polish not-so-digital, not so vernier, but simple to read dual scale caliper. Commonly used to measure shims when ya wanna set the crank end play on a Kohler engine.

2. BigFish

Ok, Ok, But be forwarned, I ain't no technician!!

Ya got yer basic cyl leakdown tester, ya got TWO, count em, TWO spark testers, one fer CD and one fer regular ign., Ya got yer crankcase vac/pressure guage, oil pressure test rig, ya got yer Spark Adv.Module/ DSAM tester DVOM, compression tester, and last but not least yer basic Proto ( or JC Whitney ) click adj. ratcheting torque wrench.

The way I see it, if ya fix lawn mowers fer a livin', ya ain't no technicion !

3. BigFish

Tampa..., tobacco cutter, makes sense now. Pretty cool!
    Is that what that really is?

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Nope a real tobacco knife has a round blade and is used in a rocking motion. Grandpa used to roll his own. Another lost art.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Fish....you almost aced it...both spark testers HEI...2 different production styles. And of course a Fluke 77.
    They let 2 stroke mechanics take 4 stroke certification tests too...you'd prolly do OK...
    I've had that funky looking 2 headed hatchet for about 20 years..got it in an old box of tools I bought.
    The concensus of old timers and tool collectors I talked to was that it was a tobacco leaf cutter...
    Though I'm not really sure...made a real good flange bearing removal tool.....

6. BigFish

I reckon ya had to be there!

7. BigFish

Here's a tricky one:
    Hint: A must have when working on a Honda.

007.JPG

007.JPG

8. BigFish

An easy one:

003.JPG

003.JPG

9. BigFish

A dedicated one:

005.JPG

005.JPG

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know what you use that for but it looks like a pilot jet cleaner to me....