Stump The Technician,,,Name That Tool

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by piston slapper, Oct 26, 2012.

1. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

I'm a little disappointed in ya, Slapper--you didn't post the other half of the Briggs primer combo--the wide jawed pliers used to remove the same primer. If I could get my grandkids to stick around long enough to "learn" me on pic posting, I'd give it a shot.

Things are a little out of the normal here, I've kind of been laying back in the weeds.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Least you laid back in the weeds instead of dirt..... :eek:

3. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

No...I usually pop them out with a small screwdriver...
    If you have a pic..feel free to post it....

4. Restrorob

That's what I use to do..... Until I decided a pair of pliers would be a whole lot easier, I dug around in my box and stumbled across my dust cap tool from my ole auto days.....

I filed the V-groove a little deeper and only use one V-groove tip on each side to unlatch the tabs then pop it out with a pick.

Likely started doing that before Briggs came out with their fancy tool.....

[​IMG]

5. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Rob, it's good you provided the mea culpa with your last statement or I'd call it patent infringement!:hammerhead:

6. piston slapper

RestroRob...good modification....
    Did you ever improve on the Briggs starter snapring removal tool.???

Just wondering....If you take the work out of a job by using the right tool...Is it still work.????

7. Restrorob

I'll go out on a limb here and say...... Sure it is.....It's just less work.....

Anytime one can reduce the amount of work per job having the proper tool (home built or not) puts more money in their pocket...... payup

Oh..... Haven't gotten to the clip tool mod yet.....

8. piston slapper

You're exactly right...if the job should take 2 hours...and by your own innovation you can do it in 30 minutes..you charge for 2 hours..
    Now...before the landscapers chime in to complain about unfair labor charges...Isn't the reason you guys spend thousands of dollars on ZTRs and other eqpt...so you can get paid the same amount to do a job...performing it in less than half the time..???

9. Restrorob

That's a good analogy Slapper....... But there's a difference here, True Technicians spend thousands of dollars for tools of the trade......But we don't take them out and beat the snot out of them.....

10. piston slapper

You're missing the true spirit of innovation...nobody is getting taken advantage of...
    If 8 out of 10 technicians take 2 hours to do a repair ...and I did my homework and figgered a way to do the same job ......without compromising quality....in half the time...why should I charge any less..????
    Why should I be penalized for being smarter and more efficient..???
    Once these new procedures or tools become standard practices...I can see the labor hours more accurately reflect the actual time it takes to perform the job..

If there were no rewards for innovation....the new ideas would dry up on the tree..