Lawn Care Forum banner

Stump The Technician,,,Name That Tool

169K views 712 replies 30 participants last post by  Patriot Services 
#1 ·
Here are a few tools I have either made or modified to work on all that junk they bring in for repair...
Can you identify the porpoise (sorry bout that Fish) , of all 10 tools ?
Score of 7 out of 10 is about normal....Good Luck

Wood Tool Art Metal Antique tool

See less See more
#2 ·
Hint...5 and 6 are used with an air hammer

If I see someone getting a free hat and jacket from Briggs at the update schools....
With one of these contraptions....its OK...dont need another jacket....
If you have a modified tool with a purpose...feel free to post it here....

#3 ·
Here's the first 4
1..Holds the brushes in the endbell on a Kohler Magnum starter so you can assemble it.
2..Quik clip to check ac volts on a regulator or rectifier.
3..Kawasaki FC540 connecting rod tapped with adjustable bolt...used for turning the crankshaft while assembling the engine..
4..Long thin needle nose pliers bent on the end to hold and install valve spring retainers on L Head engines..

If you guess correctly on #'s 5 thru 10...I'll let you know...

#5 ·
Is 8 a door panel popper?
Posted via Mobile Device
#8 is a feeler gauge for adjusting valves on the Stihl 4mix engines.
I cut a thin strip off a .004 feeler gauge and crimped one end in a ring terminal.
The tape covers the connector...though not very well..

#6 ·
Ive got a few of my own special tools. My favorite is the Cable luber 2000, it is much better than my original the cable luber 1000.
I also have made a special tool to remove the rub on gravely spindles, makes it possible to rebuild them instead of replacing them.
Also have a splinde holder for triton deck spindles.

#7 ·
#6 is a driver for removing spindle shafts from spindles that use a thru bolt and nut to hold the blades on...Scag...Exmark...fits most of them.
I rounded the head of a dixie chopper blade bolt into a circle and cut a 1/4 inch slot in it.
this allows it to drive right past the key stock if it is still in the shaft..
Bump it with an air hammer....

#8 ·
#6 is a driver for removing spindle shafts from spindles that use a thru bolt and nut to hold the blades on...Scag...Exmark...fits most of them.
I rounded the head of a dixie chopper blade bolt into a circle and cut a 1/4 inch slot in it.
this allows it to drive right past the key stock if it is still in the shaft..
Bump it with an air hammer....
Oh come on, you dont need a special tool to get those shafts out. They always just slide right out. JK We actually had one tech quit one hot summer day trying to drive out the shaft on an old Exmark Viking. Those things can be a pain. Thats a good idea
Another handy tip Ive found to remove the sheet metal pulleys on Gravel spindles is to take the AYP spindle self tapping screws and just use the air hammer to tighten them down. It will destroy the spindle (not a big deal if you are replacing them anyways) but the pulley pops right off.

#9 ·
.It looks like #10 is a test tool for checking kawasaki ignitions with igniters.
A Nova igniter installed on an alligator clip.
#7 is probably just a spark checker with a prong on the side for a jumper wire to ground it when there isn't any metal close enough to the sparkplug wire .
Not quite sure about #5 and #9.Who knows ?

#12 ·
Guess I stumped you guys...
It can be tough trying to figure out what someone was thinking when they improvised.
Especially when you dont know what problem they were trying to work around.

WhiteGardens...Yes that is an old TV antenna alligator clip...good eye..
JoeBilly...no #9 is not a WaterMagnet ...The WaterMagnet has 3 wires going to it,,,
#9 is just a sparkplug I insulated because I got tired of catching pushmowers on fire.
About once a year I would get a mower flooded so bad that when I pulled the rope to clear the cylinder...it would spark and ignite the fuel and catch the engine on fire.

#5 is a hydro pulley removal tool..when you get the clutch off the crankshaft and the hydro pulley wont come off..you bolt this combination of a clutch bushing and an Exmark spindle bushing to the crank..this keeps the airhammer from jumping off the crankbolt while reaching under the mower and bumping the shaft.

Finally 55 degrees in central Fl...grass stopped growing..Santa Claus is coming....

Tool Wood Nickel Metal Gun accessory

#13 ·
#5 is a hydro pulley removal tool..when you get the clutch off the crankshaft and the hydro pulley wont come off..you bolt this combination of a clutch bushing and an Exmark spindle bushing to the crank..this keeps the airhammer from jumping off the crankbolt while reaching under the mower and bumping the shaft.
This is a great idea ! Especially when you are all twisted up under a machine.

Finally 55 degrees in central Fl...grass stopped growing..Santa Claus is coming....
Here in NJ, 50 degrees and Sandy is coming :dizzy:

#14 ·
Guess I stumped you guys...
It can be tough trying to figure out what someone was thinking when they improvised.
Especially when you dont know what problem they were trying to work around.

WhiteGardens...Yes that is an old TV antenna alligator clip...good eye..
JoeBilly...no #9 is not a WaterMagnet ...The WaterMagnet has 3 wires going to it,,,
#9 is just a sparkplug I insulated because I got tired of catching pushmowers on fire.
About once a year I would get a mower flooded so bad that when I pulled the rope to clear the cylinder...it would spark and ignite the fuel and catch the engine on fire.

So... that explains your expertise in re-gluing flywheel magnets!!
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=390437

Man, I don't even own an air hammer, let alone use one on a crank!

#15 ·
So... that explains your expertise in re-gluing flywheel magnets!!
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=390437

Man, I don't even own an air hammer, let alone use one on a crank!
If the magnets come loose from a few bumps of the air hammer, they were probably coming loose anyway.
The air hammer can save or make you a lot of work. Depends on the operator.
Posted via Mobile Device

#16 ·
Just use a smaller air hammer bit that will go through a 1/2" drive socket. Put the socket on the bolt and do it that way. Its good for removing clutches that are stuck on then too.

Im not so sure on your alligator clip thing #2. You should really have the stator disconnected from the regulator when testing its output.

#26 ·
OK...I'll give you a multiple choice...

A....a tobacco cutter used by cigar rollers.
B....a mini hatchet used by mini indians.
C....a flanged bushing removal tool.
D....a ninja fighting tool.
E....a removal tool for extracting ships in bottles.
F....a useless tool highlighted to piss off technicians.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.