Stumped

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by blawncare, Apr 5, 2007.

1. blawncare

blawncare LawnSite Member

Hey yall,

As Spring approaches, I stopped at many of these businesses and Everything is going good.. I d be able to see some of the bids that I ve won and lost.. EXCEPT this one Grocery store here is big food market and popular among the communities. I d say DAN'S SUPERMARKET.

I was told to submit the bids and I did and 3 weeks later til Today I went back to see the same guy I spoke to 3 weeks ago the head manager to find out, he stuttered and and nervous, saying ahhhh we got someone and I asked who won the bid he declined it and ummm thanks for giving me your bids and I asked if Im lower or higher at that point and he declined to expose it. I know at that point I won the bid but he won't say because a guy I know, used to run lawn care for them before he got into spraying/ aerating business and no longer mowing anymore. He gave me the price that he had won and mowed there for quite a long time and compared to my bid which I was 5 bux higher than his past bid so I went with my bid.

SO Why would he sutter and being nervous now and not before?

What do u suggest I do about it?

thanks
    Brian

2. violatorjf

violatorjf LawnSite Member

Are you an intimidating looking guy? :weightlifter:

Really I'm not sure. Most of the time it's who you know that counts, so maybe that's why.

3. blawncare

NOPE, I am military lookin guy with an hearing loss. Thanks :)

4. paul vroom

paul vroom LawnSite Senior Member

Thats why he works in a grocery store.

5. blawncare

Sorry, to clear it up, The guy that used to run his own lawn care business mowing their properties, now doing spraying/aerating jobs don't work for them.. :p

6. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

It's hard to say why the manager might have been nervous. I would tend to bet that the manager was strickly using your bid to strong arm his current maintenance company and had little to no intent of actually hiring anyone else.

7. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

I think you're being rather un-professional about it. They didn't hire you, have a nice day. they are not obligated to tell you who they hired, and for how much. Let it go, move on.

8. ribbie78

ribbie78 LawnSite Member

Yeah; after not getting it this year just forget about it for a while. If you really want this account go back next year and submit a bid again.

...in the meantime just pee in their grass and make brown spots so they blame the crew they picked...

9. blawncare

Am not too worried about it for now til next year, Will find out :) Thought I'd post it here to see if there is sorta a NO NO or this is illegal or something but guess not.

Again, Thanks for Replies.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It's not illegal, but as was mentioned earlier, they are not obligated to say anything. Good luck with the season, though.