1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stupid.... Bad business?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 6'7 330, Oct 28, 2005.

1. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

The Presbyterian Church my mother and father were members of for thirty-six years, was in dire straights financially. As the old timers have died off ,the young and new in the church are not replacing them, to the point the church is in danger of closing.

This church meant a lot to my mother and father, so for 2005 we mowed the lawn, trimmed the bushes,layed a 1000 sf of sod ,all out of my pocket.So would you say this was not good business practice ,maybe stupid? Do you think it was a complete loss and waste of employee's ?
  2. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

You did it for your mother and father and god, there will be a spot in-heaven for you and all off yours!!!.... maybe god will bless you and give you many lawns from people from the church!!! either way right it off!
  3. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

some times we are driven to do things and we dont know why but it becomes a burden on our mind until it gets done. it's not for me to say why but for some reason you were compelled to do so." he ":angel: might have had an influence on you to do so.
  4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I would use that as a big tax write off. If it weren't my home church i would inflate the prices alittle too.
  5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

God only knows when your cheating in your home church ? :dizzy: :dizzy:
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'VE done things that were bad business practice, or perhaps even stupid. Things like going in and cutting a 65 acre city park to take it back for the people of the community after the mayor was just letting it grow to weeds and brush.
    Taking care of a church...ANY church, let alone one that your mother and father belong to is NOT a bad thing. Nothing bad can come from this. It will come back on you...you just wait and see. One day we will meet and discuss this.
  7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I have been mowing our church and 1 acre cemetary for 14 years now. I am in a position (have the equipment and time) to do that. I feel good about the whole deal. My church is important to me. There are a lot of people that volunteer in many ways to keep our parish alive, and I just try to do my part. Hope you enjoyed doing what you did, and I am sure you have the respect and gratitude from many of your fellow parishioners.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

When I do this kind of thing I usually feel a little bit dumb for a while, but not in a bad way.
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I think that it was really good. I wish that more people, especially younger ones, would do stuff like that more often. I did that for my wife and I church for 3 years. In the long run I actually got some business out of it from some members
  10. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, Your a nice honest fella..............