Stupid but quick question.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Freddy_Kruger, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you measure how high you are cutting the grass?

Is it from the ground (a solid surface like a sidewalk) to your blades or do you somehow ballpark it by actually measuring the grass?

I ask because a fert company told one of my customers I was cutting it to short and it should be 3.5 inches so I raised my toro super recycler to setting D and got a complaint from another customers that I wasnt cutting it short enough. It then occurred to me it looked better when I was cutting it on setting C but another customer told me to go shorter and I cut her grass on setting B. I told her it was too short and it would likely brown (even though I'm not sure about that) she told me "forget about it", She's italian.

2. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

Put your mower on a solid level surface like a garage floor. Then measure from the floor to the cutting edge of the blade.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Never mind, just read the post again and understood what you were talking about. Like he said above, just put the ZTR on garage floor and measure the leading edge of the blades with a tape or a blade measuring thingy.

4. lawns4less

lawns4less LawnSite Member

The height at which you cut is determined by measureing from a solid surface to your blades. This is because the blades setting is in relation to the tires on your mower. Weekly checks on air pressure will insure proper height. Also the company was probably just trying to scoop your biz. Id talk with your home owner and educate him on the importance of proper height to insure an adequately shaded lawn. Good luck:usflag:

5. Freddy_Kruger

TY TY TY :)

That's excatly what I thought, it happenned twice now with different customers but same fert and lawn co.

Can you recommend any reading material be it a book or a website? I'm interested it lawn education.

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Cut what is appropriate for the lawn in questions. Perhaps 3.5" is right for one customer, but not OK for another (just as the complaint noted).

I use 2.5" to 3.5", sometimes changing heights on a property for different areas. For me, "one height for all" will not work. Using the same settings for all properties hardly qualifies as "custom lawn services." My hand mower has settings on the half-inch (e.g. 2.5, 3.0, 3.5). I wish is had quarter-inch increments on the adjustment. I would use them.

And, the height setting changes as the seasons change.

7. Freddy_Kruger

I've only been cutting for a couple months now and not full time either but I am starting to get a feel for cutting. Even my lines are starting to look nice, lol. That was quite a struggle to walk straight my tendency is to follow the wheel rut but now I'm cutting lawns diagonal even if it takes a couple extra minutes.

Learning a little bit each week and quite happy with the work.

8. lawns4less

lawns4less LawnSite Member

When you take the time to educate yourself on the proper height you can be confident in taking the time to educate your customer. I was in concrete for a long time....15 years. When I got into doing lawncare full time...one of the first things I did was call a local sod company. There job is to know the proper height to mow there sod for optimum results. Just call them and ask. Im sure there gonna tell you mow tall and often if your in a very sunny area. A shaded lawn is a happy lawn in hot, sunny, dry weather. At any rate, the sod cos are your best bet. Then when you talk to your customer, you have answers with explanations not just answers. If you are educated and are confident in your answers, so will your customer. The more confidence they have in you the easier they will be to service and the more business you will get from them.