Stupid Colorado Weather and Hydoseed Opinions

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jluksic, Jun 13, 2007.

1. jluksic

jluksic LawnSite Member

OK, enough is enough! Is this the worst Colorado spring/pre-summer you remember?

Long winter, May snow, freezing temps, HIGH winds.... what a mess!

Also - what's the consensus on Hydroseed? I'm in Monument CO with a mess of a backyard. A neighbor in Tall Pines hydroseeding few weeks ago and I'm not too impressed.

Finally - anyone want to bid on ~ 2500 sq ft (HOA limited) KB sod and about 3000-6000 sq ft hydroseed?

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I hear ya. We're typically 2-3 weeks booked out this time a year. Right now this week isn't completely full yet. The weird thing is the majority of all the calls I am receiving is for work up here in Monument and Gleneagle. Still getting some for the Springs, but it is by far much more up here for service calls lately. Which is great.
  3. jluksic

jluksic LawnSite Member

Do you charge more for same services in Kings Deer versus Briargate? Just curious?

Also, what's you opinion on hydroseed?
  4. Nothing wrong with hydro-seeding unless you don't have the temps and if irrigated.

As long as temps will stay above 55 and don't get too extreme, what is seeded is not allowed to dry out between waterings for the next 21 days, then the seeding will happen.

Oh did i mentioned proper irrigation.
  5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

A controller with multiple start times ("cycle 'n soak") will be of help.
    The guster is D.O. with the temperature...50 degrees at night. Watch for
    overwatering..puddling can happen easy on slopes or you can rot the seed.
    Depending on the daytime temps, six + start/run times could be used. MOIST!
    Lack of head-to head coverage will kill you!:hammerhead:
  6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I charge the same no matter where we work - Monument, Briargate, downtown, Broadmoor, Stetson Hills, etc. No difference in price.

Never done any hydroseeding since we don't do landscaping. Can't really give an opinion on it.
  7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Sliding scale will get you into big trouble. I've cut prices for "charity cases",
    but they all pay the same. As a great mind once said," the only way to make
    something cheaper is to make it smaller!".