Stupid contractor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pottstim, Jul 13, 2003.

1. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

My very first customer lives across the street from me. Well, she is out of state for a few weeks on vacation. Before she left, she hired a contractor to build a new deck in her back yard. A few days after she left, he came by and tore the old deck down and hauled away all the old lumber. This was a little over 2 weeks ago. In the meantime, he brings the new load of lumber and dumps it right in the middle of the back yard. You know what has happened now?? Yep, DEAD GRASS! There was plenty of room to stack the lumber in the driveway, which meets up with the back yard. So, he could have put it there and probably would only have had to walk an additional 60 feet or so. This aggrivates me, because I work hard to make that lawn look good, and now it has a big dead spot right smack dab in the middle of the yard. The longer it sits there, the worse it is going to get. This is probably the worst possible time to try to make new grass grow, too. To top it all off, all he has managed to complete in 2 1/2 weeks time is the outer framework of the deck. That was only about 3 hours of work total. I am willing to bet that this stuff wouldn't be going on if the homeowner was home. Any of you guys ever had anything like this happen.

2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

One time I had a customer that had a siding company putting new siding on her house, and they were there every time we came to mow for 2 months, siding the house. 2 freakin' months to side the house! WHAT???

I have noticed that contractors, painters, etc, seem to take their sweet time in working. If I worked that way, my customers would get mowed once a year. Must be nice.

:dizzy:

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i wouldn't go as far as to stereotype contractors like that, perhaps they're doing this as a side job? when thats the case they are upfront about it and the job will take longer, some people don't mind if the job takes a little longer if they can save some cash.

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I would. But that's just me.

:D

5. pottstim

The homeowner left the phone # of the condo where she would be staying incase something happened and I needed to contact her. I called her and told her how the contractor had dumped the wood in the middle of the back yard and that it had killed the grass. She seemed very discouraged and asked me if I would help her regrow it. I said no problem at all. Then, she asked what progress they had made on the deck, and I told her exactly what I said in my last post in this thread. She said she was going to call and talk to him and see if she could light a fire under his behind. She was under the impression that this job was going to be completed by the time she got back from her vacation, but it doesn't look like that will be the case.

6. lilred731

lilred731 LawnSite Member

My Dad is a contractor and has been in business for 20yrs. I have seen this type of stuff from all types of contractors even my dad and you have to consider all the angles.

1. Side job.

2. Homeowner will only pay so much per week.

3. Homeowner is not concerned about time.

These are just a few reasons. Now I am not defending these individuals, just letting other people know what goes on in that particular trade.

7. pottstim

I understand what you are trying to say, lilred. I just wish that this guy would be a little more considerate of someone's property. He even threw the garden hose out into the grass, and I ended up picking it back up and laying it in the mulch bed. There was plenty of space below where the deck construction is going on to put the hose, rather than out in the yard to kill even more grass.

8. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll bet there's more to this story in the agreement between the home owner and the contractor than you know, and despite you talking to her, still doesn't mean you know all the facts.
    But, assume you do, I sure as heck wouldn't put my building materials 60 feet from the job site, you have any idea how much more labor intensive and time consuming that would make the job? Also, is the driveway in plain sight of the road? Midnight lumber supply!
    Construction and unblemished lawns do not live in the same universe, unless it's really big dollar and the customer wants to pay for kit glove care, cloth napkins at lunch and all.
    Concrete mixers, trucks, lumber, wheel barrows, nail guns, compressors, table saws, etc. etc etc. there's a lot of material, tools, and people movement to consider.
    I would think staying out of the middle between home owner and contractor would be the wise thing to do. You've already picked up extra work because of it. And you don't know all the facts, no matter what you've been told.

9. pottstim

Both the backyard and driveway run parallel to the road. This is in a subdivision, BTW. She gave me the phone # to call her if I needed to. She is a close personal friend to me and my family, and I am just trying to look out for her. If she thought i was butting in, believe me, she would let me know she didn't want me to.

10. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

pottsim,
    That's all well and good, but that still doesn't make the contractor "stupid", maybe not the most efficient, maybe not the best organized, maybe a guy that's over-committed himself, maybe lazy, maybe many things, but none of your facts qualify him for "stupid". You could be correct, maybe is is mentally challenged, but there is nothing here to substantiate that.
    OK, both possible material placement locations are similar for exposure, do you think it would be 'smart' to locate materials 60' from the actual construction point and have to walk double that for every board, is that what you would do, was that figured in as part of the bid, do you KNOW this contractor did/didn't explain this when he bid the job?
    Sometimes 'grass' gets sacrificed for another wanted 'thing', whether it be a deck, pool, storage building, coy pond, etc.
    Maybe your view is a bit slanted because this home owner is such a close personal friend. Might it be that because you're the one that 'cares' for the grass and you feel responsible for it?
    Unless you've walked in this contractors shoes, unless you've been involved in similar construction, just think you're being rather harsh on what you perceive about this guy.
    That's just my opinion.