Stupid Customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by two_planks, Apr 20, 2004.

1. two_planks

two_planks LawnSite Member

My wifes boss and several of his friends wanted to have me do my spring clean up package that consists of power raking, first cut and aerating for them. They wanted a group rate and since he was my wifes boss and a decent guy I dropped my price from $135 per yard to $115 (on big factor was that I could do all 7 yards at once without loading up my equipment and driving any where). I had them all scheduled for tommorow and i just got a phone call (4 pm) saying that one of the group wasn't happy with my price and thought they could find a better one so all of them are going to look for a bettter price and get back to me (this was my whole schedule for tommorow). I told him that yes he might be able to find some one for cheaper but there was no way he would get the same quality I could offer from some one doing it for $100 per yard. Still no dice so I said "well the group rate was for tommorow only and because I now have no work for tommorow, when you decide to call me I'll need you all to schedule individually and the price will be $135". Thats if I even have time to get to their yards.

2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Some people don't know a good thing. I would prob. go up more than 135.00, just for the inconvenience.

3. G&S LANDSCAPING

G&S LANDSCAPING LawnSite Member

:confused: Never give a discount to family or work realated friends , You will always get burnt. And thay always talk the price down.And want something for nothing. Learned this also the hard way.

4. two_planks

two_planks LawnSite Member

Yeah, the discount was more for having 7 lawns in a row than for the fact that they where from my wifes work.

I got this all sorted put now. THe boss is Korean and doesn't speak very good english. There where some details that where lost in translation. They where just confriming my price and finding out when I would be able to do the work. Some how my wife thought that they wanted me to go ahead so when she called to ask when i could do the work she told me to go ahead and schedule it and I did. I guess in the future I need to speak with every client personally so that this sort of thing doesn't happen again. I called him back and told him that I was sorry for the mix up and I would still give them the discount but I needed to have an answer by thursday or else my schedule will probably be full and I might not be able to fit them in.

5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I agree with G&S. I never do work for friends or relatives unless it's just to help out on some weekend project. Doing business with friends or relatives has too many problems associated with it.

6. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, rule of thumb never work for friends or relatives. If you want to help out with a project that's o.k., but avoid doing any business. They are usually the ones who can't seperate business from pleasure.