stupid design...

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by KS_Grasscutter, Jun 7, 2006.

1. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Wow, this sucks...
    Ever try to change the oil on a Dixon Speed ZTR? To sum it SUCKS. The oil drain is in the LEAST accessible place on the whole mower. Then, as it says in the opperators manual, use a 10 mm wrench to open it up...yea, right! IF you could get it in there, it WILL NOT fit...So, to I took off the rear bumper/catcher-holder-gizmo and was (barely) able to get a 10 mm socket in there to work...
    Then, I try to get the oil filter off while the oil is draining...NOPE. That SOB is on there when dad gets home (he has most of the tools in his pickup) I will use his oil filter wrench to get it off.
    So now, I sit here with tiny burns all over my hands and a pretty good cut on my wrist (burned self on muffler, reacted by moving arm, did so too quickly, banged it into the frame:laugh: ) and complain about my day LOL. Is Dixon the only ones with this much of a p.i.t.a. setup for oil draining?

2. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Something for you to remember when purchase of next mower. No one said common sense was cheap
  3. KS_Grasscutter

Yea, no crap. It will be a L O N G time till i will be buying another one though...
  4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Gravely makes it REALLY easy to change the oil on my 44z. Just loosen an easily accessible bolt and the oil flows down a tube and into the pan. Piece of cake. The oil filter is right above the drain and can be removed easily as well. It is nice having both the oil filter and drain on one side, only get oil on one side of the mower=less time to clean up.
  5. KS_Grasscutter

How much did you pay for your Gravely? Does it have a catcher? Blower for the catcher?

BTW, this REALLY ticks me off about paying $5000 for something that it is such a pita to change the oil on:hammerhead: :hammerhead: A call to Dixons main office is first on the to-do list tomorrow...(do it on the way to the dentist office...stupid mountain dew...)
  6. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

MY ferris is the same flathead screwdriver to get the oil draining out a long tube and spin the filter off the back of the motor. Easiest oil change ive ever done
  7. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

flathead screwdriver??? All of mine have a drain plug on the end of the hose. Got any pics? I might have to make some changes. I thought about using one of those twist style plugs so I could do it faster.
  8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, If I were to have a complaint for Dixon about anything it would be the pizz poor design on how to drain the engine oil! My Kodiak is no different, though the drain valve is accessable but you need the 10mm deep 1/4" drive socket and a stubby socket wrench to be able to actually get on it and turn it open. To remove the fliter there is no access to get a standard oil filter wrench of any type on it without removing part of the mower frame that's bolted on! Once you do get the filter off there is no where for the oil to go DOWN into a pan! the oil from the filter has to run out onto the frame, which is the flat portion where the engine and hydro pumps are mounted. it's a MESS to say the least. The only fix I see is to come to the house and get some foil and make a sort of catch pan and gutter to channel the oil from the filter and keep it from making such a mess. A simple hole in the engine mounting plate would be so common sence here...
  9. KS_Grasscutter

Yea, it is a p.i.t.a. to say the least...I AM calling the main office tomorrow...see if i can talk to someone and ask if they even bother to test stuff like this or not:hammerhead: Ought to tell them i am trading for a dixie chopper...think they would even get the joke in that?

10. Luvs2Play

Luvs2Play LawnSite Member

I found that if you use a swivel socket you can reach right in and turn the 10mm. As far as the filter, I would lift the front of the mower and remove it, then getting it out from around the hoses was a pia, but the oil would all run out the back into the pan. I think the engineers should have had to change oil in them once. Still to me, I found Dixon to be worth a small headache once in a while. Try changing plugs in a V10 ford!