Stupid Idea???

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by cat2, Oct 14, 2007.

1. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

Would it be stupid to lift up the cab on the bobcat and were ever a hose is rubbing on something, to take some black duck tape and rap the hose up in it just were it is rubbing? That way you wouldn't have to worry about a hose rubbing threw and leaking in the middle of a job.

2. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't use tape... get some rubber hose and cut open down the middle. Wrap it around the hose that is chaffing, and fasten with a zip tie.

3. cat2

from Mi

OK thanks:) Garden hose would work too. Wouldn't it

4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Probably. I just take a hose that is either the same size or a hair bigger & put a slit in it. Then take some cable ties or electrical tape to hold it in place.

5. TonyG

TonyG LawnSite Member

just don't use a garden hose, it'll wear through too fast.
    Try a heavy duty Goodyear Gorilla hose or something along those lines.

6. TonyG

TonyG LawnSite Member

this is not a stupid idea...it's preventive maintenance!

7. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Let me guess bobcat 185 main hyd line? If so we broke one due to some jackass at factory mounted it against something 700 hours it broke what a mess. WE took an old radiator hose and put over like a sleeve to prevent it again. Btw when this hose brakes its instant 5-10 gal. hyd fluid everywhere. Fix it now or later.
    mike

8. cat2

from Mi

OK thanks alot guys. The next time I get time and don't have anything to do. I will do this. I just didn't know if this was stupid or not. Thanks again:)

9. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Stupid..not even! Check your fuel lines and see if they are rubbing. In fact, check all your lines and do it to all of them. Check your wiring too and make sure they are not rubbing or in the way......those zip ties are awesome. I have done that all the way through my excavator and all the way through my brand new skid. That is just forward thinking.

10. cat2

from Mi

NO not an 185. Its an 160. I know if those lines break they are one heck of a mess. had a line break on my old 753. Don't have that anymore. man talk about a machine. Best machine ever made