Stupid is and stupid does

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fvstringpicker, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

If there is a dumba$$ of the week award, I want to submit my name for consideration. It started Tuesday when a small commercial client called , said he had shoulder surgery and want me to cut his personal residence. He normally cut it himself. I wanted to help the man out, him being a client and all, and agreed to do it. I had never seen th place. In addition to seeing numerous post advising against making telephone quotes, common sense should have precluded me from doing so. At any rate, he pushed me for a price ("about how much do you think it'll run" he said). He went on to say that in takes him about two hours to cut on a John Deere rider. I figured my big bad Toro Z could out do a "Deere rider" on a bad day so I quoted roughly two hours work, less a good ole boy discount, you know, him being a client and all, of $100. I said I'll be there Friday morning. He said he'd be out of town but would mark his property line along the road and just cut back to the tree line.

Turns out his "Deere rider" is a 39 hp tractor pulling a 72 inch frail mower. Most of his "residence" was a bahia grass field ,with Johnson grass mixed, with a road frontage of about 500 ft and 400 + ft deep. I kept my word and cut the place. Anyone ever seen a jackass driving a z-rider. Want to guess how long it took me.
  2. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

It would of been even better if you cut the whole feild and found out that wasn't the right property. So just be glad that didn't happen.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Beings as how you're calling yourself stupid and all did it ever occur to you to ask him if you could use his flail mower? It was his shoulder that was broke, not his JD.
  4. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

Good idea but he was out of town and will be for several days. I guess I could have postpond the job but I told him I'd do it Friday.
  5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

So you didn't make a mint on it.He is still a customer and you will still make money on him.I'm sure you will find a way to make it up.;)
  6. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

So how long did it take you?
  7. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Don't feel bad I have done the same thing before, lesson learned will never give a phone quote again.
  8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Same here NEVER again
  9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I usually say reguardless if someone is pushing me for a phone quote. " What it took your last guy 30 minutes?" You paid him how much? 25.00 Good 75.00 it will be and every 5 minutes over half the hour will be 25.00 extra.

Naw I will be out soon to give you an actual quote.

good luck and may you look in the mirror and see the person eating prime rib and living in luxery (ok maybe during the winter).
  10. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Now don't go giving jackasses a bad name, dummy at the wheel is more like it.:p
    Seems like most all of us have the hardest time learning the simplest rules.
    Phone quoting has eaten many a lunch.
    Live and learn eh.