1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

"Stupid is as stupid does"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sheppard, Mar 18, 2003.

1. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Pulled a Gump yesterday. Was pruning some crepe myrtle with a hand pruner. Tried to move fast and beat an approaching t-storm and ...sliced the heck out of my index finger. Had to have 4 stiches put in.

The procedure costs $285.00 bucks! Jeez!

I dont know how many times I've told myself that if I hire an employee he's got to be someone who 'keeps his brain engaged' the entire day. DUH!

If it was physically possible to kick myself I'd do it. The cost of the mistake hurts worse than the actual laceration.

Just thought I'd share my work day with everyone.

2. Cameron Services

Cameron Services LawnSite Member

Sounds like a painful learning experience. Glad to hear your okay though.
  3. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

"The hurrieder I go the behinder I get"
  4. Ajays

Ajays LawnSite Member

I once took a slice out of my thigh with a chainsaw right in front of my client. Luckily I had just purchased emergency room insurance the week before and everything was paid (no deductible)
  5. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Glad to hear your ok. Could of been much worse though.

One of my guys last year was trimming some hedges with our stihl trimmers. He pinched his leg three times within 2 days!(all within a 2 inch spread on his leg) By the third time i was laughing so hard i though i was gonna rupture a blood vessel!
  6. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I know from when my fingers got jammed in a snowblower (that caught me by surprise - no the blower wasn't on for those that didn't read the original thread) that the number one thing is that you still have all your fingers, it was an accident, and after 4 weeks, you'll kinda forget about the whole ordeal.. but it'll always be in the back of your mind whenever you trim...

Ya know, my fingers got jammed up on December 5th. It's now 3 months and 2 weeks later.

It's absolutly stunning how well the human body heals itself.. From what my fingers looked like to what they are now... Wow. :blush:

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Doogiegh, I remember that pic you posted of your hand. Glad to see you're doing better. Talk about stupid, last summer I closed the sliding door of my van on my two fingers. Thank goodness I didn't break either of them, but my pride was broken.
  8. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

And ya know, and I'm sure Sheppard knows it now as well..

Stuff happens SOOOOOO quickly. <G>

Fine one minute, blood all over the place the next.. Literally..

9. Jarrells74

Jarrells74 LawnSite Member

Sounds like a classic lesson from the "School of Hard Knocks"..
  10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

just like u see in the cartoons. one time i really did this: was hurrying so much to get a cleanup done, i left a clawrake in the yard. customer came out to talk to me, as i was walking towards him, not watching where im walking, i step on the rake, and bam! ended up on my ***, almost knocked me out! after sitting at the customers kitchen table with ice on my head, i ended up in the emergency room. i felt stupid. be careful guys