stupid landscape designs...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by daveintoledo, Jan 31, 2007.

1. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

ok, so i have a customer whose landscape is layed out as such there are areas where there is no way to NOT get clipping in the mulch bed short of not mowing certian areas. Not very well thought out although it does look nice....

not able to find a ocdc (is that right)... for cub tanks....

anyone design there own solutions to this type of problem or have any ideas.....i do blow the clipping out with low rpm's but they have black mulch and every little bit shows

2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

my only solution is to re-design the beds or to find some sort of mulching kit for the mower you are using.

3. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

It's not bad design. You have to adapt to your suroundings. Throw on the bagger and suck up the clippings in those area's.

4. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

What I have done to address this problem, and very cheaply too, is to use clevis pins to hold implement drive belt material over the discharge opening when a ocdc is needed.
    Simply drill four holes on the side of the deck, two on the left and two on the right then simply install the cover.
    I used to have all different types of discharge covers but my problem was compounded greatly.
    First, equipping seventeen different mowers was going to be cost prohibitive.
    Secondly, with these expensive covers damage was inevitable and the loss of a cover would interfere with mowing completion.
    Now, for the cost of about $11 per machine, each machine has it's own cover and the operators know both how to install these covers and are aware of the consequences if the covers aren't used.
    All of the factory discharge chute plates are intact, these after-market covers do not interfere with the factory safeties and debris clean up has proven to be markedly easier.

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Don't take the job if your not equiped to handle it properly.

6. daveintoledo

wow you must think your really successful..hahahahahahahahahahahaahahahhahah:hammerhead:

its a real problem on one property due to poor design....

thanks txgrassguy i could try something like that

very high end customer, i bag everyother week, and i charge double for bagging, only property i bag...

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

gene gls, play nice and tell him that you use Walkers.
    daveintoledo, your type of property is one of the reasons why we have a variety of mowers that my wife uses. We have 4x4 Steiners with front mount decks, Walker with SD and GHS, Bobcat midmounts, JD front mount and Ford compact tractor with rear mount bush hog mower. We are equipted to cut almost any type of property.

8. daveintoledo

i guess one good option would be to look into a rear discharge mower, im sure it would be benificial on more properties then just this one....i could look into a mulch kit that is available, my only problem with the mulch kit is its not exactly easy to put on and take off, wouldnt want to use it all the time, slows you down too much..

9. willietd2

willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

ADVANCED CHUTE SYSTEMS MAKES A PERFECT SOLUTION TO YOUR PROBLEM,AND THEY DO MAKE IT FOR THE TANKS.GO ON THERE WEBSITE AND CHECK EM OUT.

10. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

you guys are funny sometimes. I am in the process of fabricating a discharge chute door that I can open and close easily while sitting on the ztr. When I finally get all the bugs worked out of it I will post a picture of it. Until then I have a pain in the @!$ board held in with a screw.