1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stupid moles! how eliminate the problem.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by nobagger, Apr 7, 2005.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

We just moved into our new home and I didn't realize the mole problem. But now the snow is gone and all I can see are the little tunnels everywhere. What is a safe and good way to get rid of them?
  2. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

4. mdenton

mdenton LawnSite Member

You've got to get rid of their food source ,which is the grub worms that their after. Or you can put juicy fruit chewing gum in the tunnels . My friend said that he used the gum and it killed the moles.

NEAL ANDREWS LawnSite Member

none of those things work. the best thing is to get a small dog that likes to catch them. and then deal with the holes he digs.
  6. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

There's a relatively new product on the market (professional applicators only) called Talpirid. Reputed to be amazing. I'll be trying it out this season.

7. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Kate, "nematodes" are microscopic worms that eat all kinds of soil larve....ARBICO... has them and all sorts of safe alternatives to pesticide use. Two applications about 10 days apart should do the trick, regards Saxon :)
  8. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry - tried the nematodes (according to the directions, of course) - no luck.
  9. andygold

andygold LawnSite Member

"Milky Spore" will also get rid of the grubs. It's expensive stuff, but it's supposed to work for 15 years once applied.

If all else fails you might want to pick up one of Jerry Baker's (America's Master Gardener) books. He has one recipe where he uses tobasco sauce mixed with something else (don't have his book available right now) that he sprays out a hose end sprayer, and it's pretty much guaranteed to get the moles to leave and not come back. Are you sure it's moles and not voles? I believe he uses a castor oil mix in the sprayer for theses. Whatever he uses it's safe for your pets and kids.
  10. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

The problem is that grubs are not the main food source of moles. The main food of moles are earthworms and you will have a hard time getting rid of those.