1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stupid People

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtdman, May 9, 2004.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Well, I had the first one of the year yesterday. Here I am edging a lawn and a woman with a baby carriage comes stomping along right through my work area. She came down a street with a sidewalk on both sides, one with me and a spinning blade throwing debris, the other side nice and safe with no lawn mower guy on it. Which side does she pick? My side. I saw her coming, knew what she was going to do, so I stopped with plenty of time to let her pass. She smiled as she walked by, and I made sure not only to shake my head but to give her the dirtiest look. What is wrong with people? Why even take the chance on walking through my work area when she could have gone around and been safe? I saw her coming, but there have been plenty of times I haven't seen people coming and they just come walking through, no thoughts of safety or anything. And the ones with baby carriages piss me off the most. It's bad enough they are walking through, but to push a baby through there and take the chance something is going to fly out and hit it is even worse. And in Ann Arbor, there's always someone walking somewhere in the neighborhoods, not caring where they go.

It just burns me so much. I go to great lengths to protect myself from getting hit with discharge, and these boobs go out of their way to be a target. If I catch a rock, a stick, anything, and hit them with it, I'll be the one in deep trouble.

:mad: :mad: :mad:
  2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Mtd, I realized a long time ago how stupid people can be when I heard about the people who are suing McDonald's for making them fat, I mean how can people be so ignorant. I tell myself, thank god my parents had common sense and instilled that same common sense in me, because otherwise I probably would have killed someone by now.
  3. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't like it when people come walking through the workzone either, but we don't own the sidewalk. I think giving her a dirty was unnecessary.

It is your responsibility to be careful and look out for these potential accidents waiting to happen while you are working.
    Not the housewife.
  4. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

i was recently framing some walls and a parent let their child wander over. as i was beating in some nails i look up only to see a 3 yr olds face about 1-2 inches away from the claw of my hammer it was a close one. i couldnt imagine what it would of done to his face
  5. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

You are smart and they are dumb. You got to do everything you can to protect them and you do it. On the way to the mower dealer early Sat. saw a young yuppie woman jogging with a special kind of baby stroller and baby in it in the right lane of a highway where the limit is 45 mph but folks go 60. Traffic was light, but it is a highway! She probably has new Mercedes and could have drove to a park to jog with her baby, but there is probably no help for her. I have done a lot of dumb arse things and made a lot of mistakes, but could never do that. Thinking about it still puts fear in my heart.
  6. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I am always scanning for people and things that I could pose a danger to, but I love those clients who like to sneak up on you while you are mowing. I had one last week walk up behind me while I was riding my ZTR. I came to the end of the pass and started to turn around, and there he was dodging out of the way from me spinning around. I am glad I saw him out of the corner of my eye, because I would have probably knocked him over if I had gone the full turn. I just hate it that most people today have absolutely no sense. So that leaves us with a big responsibility on our hands.
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

wrong, it is the housewifes responsibility to care for her child. walking your child thru a minefield is plain idiotic, and poor parenting. i got insurence for that.
  8. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Most clients are smart enough to make eye contact before they approach the machine to tell you something, but guess there is always the exception who picks the worst possible moment to practically jump you. Only have a gear wb, so it hasn't happened like that to me, not yet. Thanks for the warning Woody as I want to move up to ZTR in a year or two.
  9. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Stupid is as stupid does.

I hate it when a client sneaks up on me while I'm trimming. Got the 270 humming along, Work Tunes belting out some Pink Floyd, then TAP TAP TAP on the shoulder! Gets me every time. And I have a new client that has done this every time so far, mowed it 3 times, had the Bajeebus scared outta' me 3 times. I gotta set her straight before she gets hurt.
  10. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I maintain some office buildings with tinted glass you cant see anything inside but you can see out just fine but it never fails when im blowing the front door area someone attempts to walk out . I get some dirty looks