1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

stupid phone calls

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by LawnBrother, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

You sound like a great landscape technician.

2. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

I have , and still would if I had the time, built a privacy lattice fence, installed a paver patio, did brick and mortar steps and quite a bit of other "landscape work". All this work was in the landscape for 1 client, his home is worth well over $1,000,000 and I did charge a premium for my services. It doesn't take much skill to mow a lawn but it does to properly install and manage a landscape. Around here the best and most expensive lanscape company does all construction pertaining to the landscape and also did maintenance until they sold off that division.

3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

So what's your point? If you are a landscaper, you do landscaping. All that sounds like landscaping to me. Congratulations.

4. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Around here all the pro landscapers have a pressure/power washing outfit, usually with a dedicated trailer with a hard mounted tank and 15-18hp gasoline power unit and 150' of line. Personally, I thought they were in the same category to begin with??? ;)

5. mtdman

Quit nitpicking. The point of the post is clear.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

No mtdman I think your the one who's nitpicking,
    What is "BTW your the only one here singin your own praises"supposed to mean?
    My point was.. in order to become a landscape professional,
    I did do all those things to make a buck,and I learned and grew from doing them.

To say-- "Do one thing and do it well" and that's what makes the green industry
    "Professional"
    and doing anything outside that type of work is "Unprofessional"and "Brings the green industry down" is absurd. :rolleyes:
    And that's basicly what the point of the thread was and yes it was very clear to me.

Please don't take offence,I just see things in a different light than you do on this point. :)

7. sheshovel

Thankyou, I was trying to make a point not brag! :blush: Thanks :D that is if you ment me. ;)

8. mtdman

In order to be a landscape professional you have to paint, do drywall, build decks, fences, patch roofs, clean gutters, wash windows and siding, and any other meanial task associated with home ownership? I've never heard that one.

My point is, it's tough to make this a professional business when you've got basic handymen that do anything to make a dollar calling themselves lawn care professionals. Why is it this is the only industry that people do that? Do you see professional painters that do all that? Carpenters? Roofers? No, you don't. They are professional painters, roofers, carpenters that just do those professions. Not jacks of all trades that will do anything to make a buck, including pushing a lawn mower. But just because someone who will do any kind of labor has a lawnmower and can cut grass as well, they are an lco? I don't think so. That's what brings down the industry, that's what brings down prices, and that's what keeps people from viewing us as professionals.

That's not what I said. What I said was if you are going to be in the green industry and a professional, do green industry related work. Not everything under the sun that you can do for hire.

If you had bothered to pay attention, that's what I was talking about. Not about landscapers that do a variety of green related tasks. Next time pay attention so I don't have to repeat myself.

9. sheshovel

What I ment by that was the $ I made doing all those things enabled me to build enough capitol to buy my equipment and pay for insurance and get my business off the ground.
    I do agree our industry is viewed in a lower light than most,but you are always gonna have those jacks of all trades, it's a historical fact.That's how this nation was built,by people doing all kinds of different things to make a living,and being versatile in their knowledge.I think a person is viewed as a professional if they perform their work professionally no matter what it is.YES there are alot of guys out there that bring the vision you have of LCO's being viewed a professional way way down,but you will never change that.Lawncare professionals will never be viewed in the trade industry like carpenters,plumbers,electricians,the reason why is the little kid down the block and remembering when you mowed the grass for the neighbors for a dollar.

10. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I got a call from a guy a few weeks ago wanting an estimate for weekly maintenance...So I go out write up the estimate and put it in his mail box.He calls be a couple days later and says go ahead and get started...But I have one question first do you prefer to use your mower or mine. :dizzy: