stupid question about blade sail

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1506cmo18, Apr 28, 2011.

1. 1506cmo18

1506cmo18 LawnSite Member

I just purchased a 36 wb toro mower. I took the blades off to sharpen them and saw that the sails of the blade were facing downwards. However in toros manual it shows the sails facing upwards to the deck?

Which is it?

thanks

2. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Think about it , having the sails down blows against the grass, having the sails up lifts the grass. Which one sounds better to you?

3. KINGMADE

KINGMADE LawnSite Member

Wonder if they sold it due to a bad job of cutting. ahahahah. Sails down would hang lower than the blade and make the grass look like a$$.

4. MJB

from Wa

If they came from the dealer that way I\d be careful about letting them work on anything.

5. MJB

from Wa

Did it come from the dealer this way, or did you just make a mistake ? Don't worry I'm not picking on you I think everyone has done this once, but I'm not admitting to it.:waving:

6. 1506cmo18

haha no I was just doing maintenance today and I looked under the deck and the sails were down. I always thought they were up but just wanted to make sure.

I havent cut a piece of grass with it yet so I dont know how well it cut the grass with them down.

I bought it off an older gentlemen

7. KINGMADE

KINGMADE LawnSite Member

old guy sold it because he could not figure out why it left circles in the yard.

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Sails up, leading edge (sharp part) down.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. MJB

from Wa

How do you know that it would leave circles in the grass? You didn't .:laugh:

10. 1506cmo18

leading edge is the side that only get one or two passes with the grinder corrrect?

the other edge gets grind a lot more to get the nicks out right?