Stupid Question about Lawnsite

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffyr, Feb 18, 2001.

1. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I have a stupid question.

With all the growth in the forum in the past year we have seen a couple of our own (some of the more colorful and boisterous members) become moderators. First I would like to say congrats to you guys !

Second I would like to ask what the heck is an acurate description of what a moderator does and how much time does it take ? Do you read all the posts ? Do you have shifts ? How do you decide who reads what ?
    How will you continue this in the busy season ?

I know a moderator moderates.....but what's it all mean?

I, for one, miss the input and opinions that you all gave before becoming so busy. Keep up the good work and best wishes this season.

jeffyr

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I don't think thats a stupid question. I've often wondered if the Moderators have "shifts" like you stated. I think Eric's shift is 23 hours on, 1 hour off, and 23 hours on agian!

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

A moderator does read all posts and makes sure they don't contain bad language and basically that the poster has followed the forum rules. We also make sure that a business doesn't try to sneak a free advertisement in a post.

There are no shifts, but I do put in my share of hours here. We all try to be on from around 5 to 9 central time since that is when we have the most posters here. The forum moderators are posted for each forum on LawnSite.com on the main page that they moderate.

I get several emails a day from members needing help with things from posting pictures to how to start a new thread. This is why I keep adding to my site to help members and it helps save me from getting so many emails.

For you new members that don't know me that well or at all, I became a moderator here 11 months ago after being a member of Chuck's forums for almost a year. At the time I joined, it was called Lawnicure.com (several members remember those days) and then became bigger and was the Hall of Forums. On December 21, 1999, this became http://www.lawnsite.com and we had about 200 members as of mid January, 2000. Now look at us. :D

Chuck and I moderated all of the forums except the snow forum until we got help about a month ago. It was getting to be to much to handle and we sure do welcome the help. Now that we have more help, Chuck is able to spend more time away from here and I have started doing more of the administrative duties. We can't make all the members happy all of the time, but we try. :)

When the forums are at peak posting times in the evening, sometimes we can't all be on here. If any of you see a post you don't think belongs here or has content that you don't feel is appropriate, let a moderator know about it. Thanks
    Eric

4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a question for chuck. I know from reading posts over the past 16 months that you used to own you own landscaping business. Did you get out of the industry before starting lawnsite or was lawnsite just taking up to much of your time so that you were forced to stop? Is lawnsite your only job at this point? Sorry to be nosey but ive just been curious for a while.

5. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, Chuck! Would mind telling us a little bit about yourself? I have been real curious about you! Do you or did you mow or landscape? How did Lawnsite come about? Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that you have created a wonderful place! And to all others that help keep it goin'.....Thanx!!!