1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stupid Question..but i need help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by born2farm, Feb 18, 2008.

1. born2farm

born2farm LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok..im just starting at this buisness as a source of income and not just a "hobby"

Im in the process of setting up a buisness plan for the 2008 abd 2009 mowing seasons. What all is included in a buisness plan for you guys? I have herd alot of people talking about them but dont know what all they include.

I have stuff like customer target area, average monthly spending and stuff..is that all it is?

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Try a search on here..tons of info ! Also check with your local SBA.
  3. woodbutcher44

woodbutcher44 LawnSite Member

My plan is to earn more than I spend. (HOPEFULL LOL)
  4. john3253

john3253 LawnSite Member

A business plan includes much more information than you listed and is needed if you plan on obtaining any form of business loans. Even if you do not plan on getting loans it is still good to have one because it is a guide that you can refer to in later years if you lose sight of your goals. They cover current income, future income and exspenses, mission statements, short-term goals, long-term goals and much more that I can't think of at the time.

My advice would be to search www.sba.gov for sample plans and try to be as thorough as possible. If you cheat on this you will be potentially cheating your business. Also a business plan will let you know if your making a good decision or not by going into this kind of business.

About five years ago when my enlistment ended with the Coast Guard I came very close to purchasing a SeaTow franchise and the business plan is the only thing that saved my ass. I found out that exspenses far exceeded the sales and I got out before I was in too deep.
  5. john3253

john3253 LawnSite Member

Also, if you are going into business for the first time it would be a wise investment to take some form of formal business classes. Even if it was an associates degree program from a online school it would be worth it.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

A business plan consists of a series of steps to be carried out or goals to be accomplished, so what it is you want to do, and how you intend to get there. You have parts of it, just keep working on that and I'd skip 2009 and concentrate on the first year for now.
  7. born2farm

born2farm LawnSite Bronze Member

ok thanks for the help guys. im mostly just trying to figure out what money will be coming in and where i need to put it to make it the next year and so on. Im only 15 but i like planning stuff out and lookin ahead. because of my age i cant take a buisness class but plan on taking one in college,

thanks again