1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stupid Question I know but.......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasssin, Jan 6, 2004.

1. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

I have found a 2003 36" Turf Tracer HP for $3800, demo unit with less than 50 hours on the engine. My question is would it be worth spending the extra $2000 for the 48" Turf tracer? Lets say there are no gates to contend with on my accounts, would that difference in price be worth the lesser productivity? Or should I spend the extra cash to get the 48"?

Personally I am leaning toward the 36" because it is such a deal but I had to ask yall for your opinion.

thanks for the help
  2. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

go with the 52". it will become my next mower.
    $5800 for a 48" TTHP demo unit? That price is quite high. Here in VT it is $5000 for a brand-new 52" TTHP
  3. grasssin

No sorry the 48" is brand new, I have called everywhere in Alabama and the cheapest I can find is 5400 for the 48".

I meant is the cost difference between the two worth the loss of productivity?
  4. grasssin

oh come on people just a little help from the pros is all I am asking
  5. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Don't know about the 36" but I have a 48" TT and it's a sweet machine. Very productive. I am also versatile with mulch kit and catcher. If I had it to do over...I would have bought 3 48" tt instead of the 1 48" and 1 60" Lazer.

IMO..If you don't have a true need for the smaller deck, I would upsize to the 48". You should make up the extra 2K in time alone.
  6. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, so-n-so is right, and in my area, all of the lawns are way too large for a 36" and I have no customers with gates, either. A 36" would requie alot more usage time and alot more walking, too.
  7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Sounds like a decent deal on the 36"....thats what I gave for mine with around 20 hours. I agree about the 48" TTHP being high priced. A 48" Lazer sells for $6300. As far as production goes....I would go with the 52" TTHP....providing you had no gates to contend with.
  8. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

No gate problems? Go with the 48". Having the extra width extending past the wheels makes trimming easier too.
  9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

48" if no gates...only problem is the 17hp Kaw. can make the unit underpowered at times.

Trim ability on the 48" is also a huge benefit.
  10. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

if youve got the cash-move up to the bigger machine. you will be more productive in the long run. look at it this way as well-you will eventually have to buy a bigger machine-and if their is no specific reason why you need a 36" now-just get the 48" and skip the double purchase.