Stupid Question,what is striping?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Jul 6, 2004.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Alright folks, dont beat me to bad on this one, but what the heck is striping/striping kits? Ive been on the site for 7 months and read about stripes, gripes about your mower not having a kit, not striping good, making a kit, seen a few pics etc. and I still dont get it LOL I talked to a 24 year lco veteran and he said he has never done or been asked to stripe a yard and neither have I.I guess not popuar here in south Georgia. OK let me have it, I just had to ask, the curiousity finally got the best of me, but dont be too rough on me :)

Danny

2. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

that is done with a proslide it is an add on that makes the grass lay down uniformaly either roller or something like chains or maybe a mudflap between the wheels and on a walkbehind you can get a proslide...

p6230014.jpg

3. QualityLawnCare4u

Nice job, but I still dont understand exactly how you make them, looks to me like the deck is raised up and down on each pass. Like I said I willprobably get burned on this question but I really did not know.

Danny

4. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

its because the way the light is hitting the grass it is bent one way and tehn the other the light way is comming at us and the dark is going away it is done by doing straight passes

5. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Grass is pushed in one direction with a roller then when you come back the other way the grass is pushed down in the other direction so when the light hits the turf it appears like a stripe.
    Deck is kept at the same level.
    No such thing as a stupid question unless you know the answer.

Ave a good one mate!

6. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Beat me to it Chuckers.

7. QualityLawnCare4u

Hey thanks, I got it now. The pics Ive seen looked great just did not know how it was done. never to old to learn! Now is I could figure out how to do it with me JD ztrs I would be the first in my area ever to do this. Heeeyyyy that just gave me a idea for some adverting, need to do one like this in one of my upper class neighborhoods, may get some new customers. Hey when your desperate youll try about anything.

Danny

8. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

Hay Danny Don't have to do it down under nobody seams
    to want it, they just like a flat sea of grass.
    hay check your private messages phill.

9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

We don't have "striping kits", but we mow in patterns. Looks almost the same, but not as much contrast between the stripes. In an "upscale" neighborhood, once someone has their lawn striped or patterned, most all of the neighbors want the same (must keep up with the Joneses!). Also, big sports fans love it. Next time you see a baseball game, look at how the field is mowed. Sometimes the patterns are so intricate you would swear they used spray paint. I have heard, especially in pro football, they will use green spray paint if the grass doesn't look good.

10. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

If you have Bermuda or St. Aug don't waste your time they don't Stripe very well.