Stupid Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TarheelTLC, Mar 25, 2008.

1. TarheelTLC

TarheelTLC LawnSite Member

How do you guys keep grass clippings off the sidewalks and driveways? The grass has so much moisture that is seems to stick to the cement. If I happen to go over it with the ZTR it is there until a rain. I spent two hours at a yard yesterday just trying to get the clippings off the drive. Normally it is a 45 minute job. Water restrictions kept me from spraying the drive off. Here is the only thing I know to do:
    1) Drive over the curve to yard avoid driveway and sidewalks
    2) Have pressure washer and tanks on truck which is CRAZY!!!!!!
    3) Bag every yard but that was what I did at this yard. The gras stuck to the deck and when going over the drive would fall off.

Does anyone else have this problem? :dizzy:

2. SkyCaptain

SkyCaptain LawnSite Member

Yes. What we used to do is carry a wide broom and sweep the clumps to loosen the blades then the backpack would blow the loosened grass off. Not 100% but pretty darn close.

3. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

redmax 8000 will take care of that prob

4. Blueribbonlawns

Blueribbonlawns LawnSite Senior Member

There's a mower called a walker and it does a great job

5. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Powerful blowers are a necessity..not only just for leaves, but this type of situation.

6. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

that is a great point.

7. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

you have a ztr and a problem?? these mowers are great, you can go forward and back up, so why are you letting the discharge side blow towards houses/decks, driveways and sidewalks?????? when you get to the end of a pass near the driveway simply do a 3 point turn keeping the discharge blowing away from the driveway. when you get close to the house, do an extra pass or two cuting/blowing clippings away from house. when your through blow clumps out with backpack. ive never heard of carring a preasure washer for this. when you're done mowing wet grass never drive across the driveway, you will leave stains from the grassy tires and it will drop clumps. simply stay off the driveway, and to reduce dropping clumps on the road, before shutting the blades off lower then raise the RPM's so some of the grass will fall off the deck prior to driving away with it.

and if your asking stupid questions and have only been in business 3 months, ask your question in "starting a lawn business"

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Well I believe he said he WAS bagging.

And I can feel your pain... In the wet times of the year it can just be a huge mess. I don't care what brand of mowers you are using. I bag using a grasshopper and walkers, and they ALL clog up and leave green slimy piles all over the place. Frankly I just blow off what I can, the green stain left on the concrete usually just fades away on it's own in the sun, if not it gets washed off soon enough. A good backpack blower is really handy though, and a SHOVEL for cleaning up the piles left next to the truck where I empty the catcher. Also needed for scooping up the piles left on the trailer from what falls out of the deck and what I have to scrape out at every lawn.

Crap, I'm soooooo not looking forward to that time of the year!!!! Just miserable, miserable work.

9. THRIFTY

THRIFTY LawnSite Member
    from (913)

Invest in a good blower, and while trim mowing make sure your discharging into the yard to minimize cleanup. Sometimes you might leave a little green on your customers driveways and walks its just part of the business. Just try and keep it to a minimum, and do the best you can cleaning up.

10. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

blower, blower,blower