Stupid Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigdaddyspags, Mar 22, 2003.

1. bigdaddyspags

bigdaddyspags LawnSite Member

This may be a real stupid question, but what do you use a blower for, besides cleaning off grass that you have thrown on a driveway? I am researching starting a business this year, and I have never used a blower before.
  2. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Leaf cleanups, cleaning equipment
  3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Blowing off the cars in dry dusty times. :D

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Gutters, leaves, dried up grass in my van.

LANDGUARD LawnSite Member

what do you use a blower for

Clean out the trailer, clean off the pavements, clean off the equipment , clean out leaves from mulch beds, blow clippings off from hedges and other clean-up type stuff.
  6. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Not to sound cocky or anything, but if you have to ask on here about what do you use a blower for, I think you should spend some time working for a company before you go out on your own. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, it's just that that is a pretty basic piece of equipment to use on the job. That's without any technique factored in or anything.
  7. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

You are right, big daddyspags, that is a stupid question. I often wonder the age of the people who post on this web site. It was for me, at one time, exciting to call this my home page. Now, however, it seems that whenever I come back, it appears that there is a lot of trival stuff posted, better suited to the juvinile reader rather than for the professional. OH well. Are you researching this for a junior high class?
    There are a lot of people who support their families, pay their bills, and survive by doing this for a living. I may be callous but get a life.
  8. bigdaddyspags,

Its a fair question. I wouldn't be embarrassed to ask what you don't know. Its only stupid to assume you know and never ask. A powerful blower is a pretty useful tool. A weak, hard to start blower is a waste of money. Most all of them will blow dry grass across pavement. But you will need much more power for the examples listed above, if you're cutting grass for profit.

If I was starting out again, I would look for a good used (year old) unit, maybe on eBay. But be sure to test drive all the major brands, at least around the dealer's parking lot. Don't just blow trash from point A to point B. Try herding stuff like wet leaves into and out of an inside corner. Some have straight nozzles, others curved. Some have throttles on the nozzle, others force you to use two freaking hands.

Shindawas are WAY over-rated. Echos and Stihls push more air for the buck. I plan to try Redmax and Windmill before I buy another. Do a search, or three, on this website for the advantages and disadvantages of brands and models. Disregard the blatant blind brand-loyal blow-hard bigots. Pay attention to the dissenters.
  9. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

that question kinda goes inline with: :rolleyes: What can you use a mower for other than just mowing:waving: :p
  10. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

To blow off fertilizer from sidewalks and drive into grass, after application. This takes a lot of power.