1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

stupid question....

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by fga, Aug 20, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i've installed a few pre-formed ponds. when you build a waterfall, that streams down a little distance between the pond and the starting point, do you wind up with a more noticeable water evaporation? very rarely do i have to add water to my ponds, but i was wondering if the water flowing over rocks in the direct sun increase evaporation enough where you're adding water routinely?

2. capital

capital LawnSite Member

the evaporation does increase but most ponds we now build are hooked to an irrigation system were possible so you can use a float type device to have the water level adjusted automaticly

3. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that you would probably lose more water from it splashing out from the waterfall than from evaporation. I have a small float valve in my skimmer box but have never heard it on. Perhaps as an experiment I'll shut off the intake water and see how long it takes before I notice the water going down. Now you got me wondering...