Stupid rain

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CreativeLawncareSolutions, Apr 17, 2013.

1. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

It is bad karma for a farmer to curse the weather.
  2. Goldendog

Goldendog LawnSite Member

Be happy it's only rain. Stil have a foot of snow on the ground and think I'm still two weeks away from getting the mowers out of the shed. Probably three weeks away from my first clean up.
  3. lazyike

lazyike LawnSite Senior Member

Stupid snow..... Talking 6+ for tommrow....*trucewhiteflag*
  4. lazyike

lazyike LawnSite Senior Member

Yes but farmers have crop ins....

We need lawn ins.
  5. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Haha...that's just crazy.
  6. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Trade our snow for your rain. I'm hoping for just a coating of snow, but o don't think I'll get that lucky. At least I get to pick up my new vantages tomorrow
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. gdguth

gdguth LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

We are under a flash flood warning right now and I have had 2 inches in the last 3 hrs, and they are saying about 2 inches more yet. I think I might rather have the snow right now. It is a flooded mess outside here in central Illinois. Earlier tonight the ground was covered white with marble size hail. One extreme to another. From drought to floods. Not much you can do, but be thankful it isn't a drought at least not right now.
  8. J & D Greens

J & D Greens LawnSite Senior Member

20 degrees/8inches of snow Tuesday. 3inches on today. It will be in 60s by Friday. Snow for next Monday. But compare this to last year. The driest winter ever no moister in the spring to speak of. I'll take all the rain/snow we can get.

I will wait until it is dry enough to cut. It is still cold enough at night out here that the lawns are not taking off yet. So once the snow melts I will knock them out this way.
    On my first cuts I do the ones that need immediate work (about 2/3 of them) Then the next week I'll concentrate on every lawn that didn't get cut and the ones that also need it from the week before. That way any extra work I'll be able to take care of. That way all the accounts will be ready for May.
  9. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

well here in west texas, we have had ONLY 2 inches of rain since January 1st! Its as dry as can be here and lawns are not green, they are brown. Weekly mowing isnt really an option here when the grass is dormant and/or dying.

Send some of that rain our way and we will gladly take it!

10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I am hesitant to post in a thread that calls rain stupid:laugh: Sorry many of you are having a bad time of it. I got off to one of my slowest starts due to the cold but things have really taken off with the 80+ degree temps and lots of rain. Perfectly timed rain yesterday in the evening after a hot day. Going to be a sunny but wet cut today. Last year was much warmer but also much drier. So things were slow because it was dry. Made up for it with the early start in February.
    We are a lot like Farmers. Farmers have to put back money to get them through the lean times. This is seasonal work, controlled many times by the weather. You have to charge accordingly. You also have to keep an emergency reserve fund in the bank.