1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

stupid snow really messed things up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Nov 22, 2005.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

How many of us really didn't want the snow until next week? I missed out on well over a grand in fall clean ups due to weather and impatient customers. This weeks forecast snow, snow, snow and on turkey day up to two feet of snow. Between loosing out on some good money and a tranny using borrowed time this snow sucks.:realmad:
  2. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I don't have snow here but the rain has put me behind! I have to have every one done by Thanksgiving too!
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I like running my business with a laid back attitude... I got a slew of customers ain't getting done before thanksgiving and the phone is quiet, too. They're not worried about it, their lawn is not an emergency... Takes a bit of that Mexican 'mañana' attitude...

I did lose some customers at first when I went with this plan, it's basically first come first serve, thank you for your patience but please wait in line until I can get to you :)

It always did frustrate me, not to say from time to time I still lose a customer over it but to me, a quiet phone and another day OFF while things dry out a bit is worth it.

Anyone can build a 50- customer list, but it took me 4 years to groom the list to perfection... errr, well, almost, kinda :)
  4. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

Thankfully the snow we got here wasn't all that much. Just enough to lightly cover up the grass, which they say will be gone in a couple of days. And if it is then we'll be back in action. The only bonus I got was the parking decks we clear need to be plowed and treated, and they'll probably need more treatments as the left over stuff in corners melt. Those damn things will freeze up when its 40 degrees out. Not only is it a nice quick little income, but it will fill my need for snow for a little bit.
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

If you're a good salesman, you didn't miss out on the money, it'll be there again in the spring, it'll just take you 5 months or so to get it.
  6. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

We got dumped on last night. had to do snow removal and de-iceing all day today. Kept thinking about the leaf cleanups that I still have to do yet this year. Oh well. It's supposed to get warmer and rain by Sunday so I guess I'll be blowing wet leaves next week.
  7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I would rather have the snow because that means morepayup payup payup they dealing with cleanups. They can wait until spring now.....:)
  8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Ya, i wish the snow held off one more week, lots of money that could have been made, I hope it melts but who knows!!
  9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Despite getting a couple of inches of snow, and the temp being less than 15 degrees now, the forecast is for 50 on Sunday and 63 on Monday. Tuesday also is forecast for being warm, but possible showers on both Mon and Tue. This means the snow should be melted off by late Sunday, and Mon and Tue should be good working days again. We still have about a dozen places to clean up and make final mowing, plus a large trimming job. I would like to have at least seven more good working days over the next two weeks.
  10. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

I had a customer two years ago, called and wanted the clean up done. Even though it was almost january and everything was froze to the ground. He said " just get what you can." Now that was some easy money. It was a job that normally takes three maybe four days. This one only took a day!! I wish they could all be like that.