Stupid startup Mistakes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by germann, Mar 4, 2003.

1. germann

germann LawnSite Senior Member

We bought our first ztr when I was in the 7th grade-my brother was a freshman. It was a Bunton gear drive-we used it on about 10 lawns. Man were we dumb. We did not know how to grease the thing. I had never seen a zerk. After the blades started to squeak, we figured something was wrong and spent a whole saturday figuring out the process.We're city boys.
    Took the thing to the dealer to have the blades sharpened because could not get them off, much less grind them.
    Bent the controll rods that lock the brakes on twice ($120) because we did not know how to tie it down. The second time was leaving the dealer after the repair for the first. You should have seen those guys laugh.
    On the positive side, we have grown. We now have 70 mowing customers, 2 Exmark Hydros, A load of Stihl equipment, and a lot of knowledge. It's amazing what you will learn in 5 years. Looking foward to season 2003
    Oh-we have upgraded our earnings from $10 to $30 dollars an hour!
  2. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Congradulations, sometimes I think I'm still in the idiot phase but I'm trying to graduate upwards.:D Then sometimes I surprise myself.
  3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

It is a great thing to hear that you are learning. Some people would have blamed the equipment as being bad and moved on. Search and learn all you can. Best of luck to you both.