Stupid Stone Yards

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Captains Landscape, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe I shouldn't expect them all to know, but it is all they sell...I've wondered if others have this problem. I can only find one aggregate supplier in my area that sells material to specification. There is a VERY large supplier in my area that seems to distribute to all the smaller yards. This operation is responsible for most of the major roadway construction in the county. Their road base material actually has clay in it. These are the same people that fraudulently overcharged the state millions of dollars and will be serving time for it. When I ask them about ASTM 2940 they get pissed thinking I'm arrogant and won't give me the contractor price. I went to the local Ideal dealer the other day in a jam, in need of geotext for my Versa-Lok wall and they tried selling me silt fence. Then I went down the street to the Cambridge dealer and they said that they never heard of it. If you ask for Crusher Run you get stone dust mixed with 3/4" gravel. The one supplier that has the right product is 20 miles away. No wonder why I keep losing bids when I add the additional trucking charges.:hammerhead:

2. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Was it PA Landers? or Cape Cod Aggregate?

They also make dense grade from bluestone which is why it looks like stone dust with 3/4 mixed in but it does run through screens to make it the correct gradation.

Other places (like CCA) use native stone for the mix so it is the tan color that you see around here as well.

3. Captains Landscape

Landers. JF Price has the correct stuff. We asked Preston at Landers and he said the dense grade is just by product from other material mixed with stone dust!

4. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I have been working out of town. I got two of the worse loads of bases i have ever seen!!!

5. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it really that big of a deal? The several yards I buy from throw everything into their Roadstone, 2A Modified, or Quarry Process. When these yards clean up (the lot or stone piles) they always toss the mixed product into the pile. One of my suppliers gets their base material from Traprock. It's a mixture of 3/4 clean,clay, and screenings. It works and packs very hard.

The Clayton block company sells recycled cement for 1/2 the price of 2A, and that works fine too.. if you dont mind the pretty assortment of cement,brick,block and rock. :dizzy:

6. Captains Landscape

It's a big deal to me I guess. I would think that they would have some knowledge about what is in the material and how it gets used. I don't think you know how bad it is here. When I ask for Dense Grade to spec they ask me what I'm doing, I tell them, and then they try to load the truck with stone dust.

7. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Matt, did you get Baldwins finest, if you did and thought the 5a(qp) was bad you should see their topsoil, oh sorry now it's Diamond sand and gravel? We used to use them all the time, very inconsistent. We have had better luck with Eastern in Hamburg.

8. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Try Cape Cod Aggregate they have astm standard materials and have sieve tests done on their products. They have a number of yards around.

9. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

The way you guys talk, I'm glad I'm as close to the limestone capital of the world as I am!!! :D

10. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

forestfire- When i work in Sussex county i get all my aggergate from Beaver Run Farms. Best quality stuff, and i never wait more then 2 hours for a truck.