Stupid, Stupid, Stupid!!!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by karen1122, Sep 27, 2005.

1. karen1122

karen1122 LawnSite Member

An ex-worker made a horrific error in planting over 100 hostas where there were supposed to be daylillies. About 20 of them must be moved as there is much too much sunlight for them to survive and they are extensions of existing daylilly plantings.

The situation for the remaining 80 or so is this:
    - no real problem with the landscape design as the owner is very flexible and is willing to go the the "new design" and see what it looks like next spring
    - the plants were bare root and did not have any foliage, so locating the exact spot they were planted is tough but not impossible
    - mixed variates of hostas in a random pattern
    - the site where the hostas were planted gets "partial sun". The daylillies were selected as it is more partial to sun than shade. I believe the hosta will be OK in this location but will require water which is no problem because there is an irrigation system
    - the plants were covered with mulch at 2" depth
    - the area was stripped bare before the planting

The real problem is that the hosta were planted too deep (1"-2" below grade rather than right at the surface).

My thoughts are that I would remove the mulch and try to wash away the excess soil at the top of each planting with a hose. What do you think about the chance of the plants living?????

The other choice is to go back, rip up and scrap the hosta (probably not savable) and replant with daylillies. I really do not what to expend this amount of time and the owner agrees.

Any suggestions or experience with messes like this?????

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Your responsible,go back dig them up and plant them in the correct area at the correct height.They have more of a chance if you do it now rather than wait and have to move them during the growth season when they are establishing because they are getting too much sun.This is what I would do even if I did not want to,because that is what seperates the truly good landscapers from the rest.Making it right and fixing it if you or someone who works for you does it wrong

3. karen1122

Sheshovel,

I absolutely agree with you regarding the integrity, professionalism, and responsibility issues for any contract work. This is a special situation as the owner is a very good friend and the job was done at no charge. Additionally, the apearance of the area is not of great importance as it is in a very out of the way spot. The survival of the hosta is the issue and any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well that is totaly different situation then ,why dident you say so?I would do what you said useing the water to remove the excess soil over the hostas...or I would try to carefully rake it off the top with a grade rake,because of it's size and lightweight ,a graderake might pull just the amount you want off the top if you do sections at a time and not try to take it all off with one fail swoop.You will still have to pull off the mulch .If they are planted too deep plus have mulch on top the chances of them rotting this winter is great...../

5. karen1122

Thanks for your opinion and tips. I will go ahead with the soil removal and also avoid applying the mulch directly over the plants until the spring.