1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stupid things Homeowners Do

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by metro36, Oct 4, 2006.

1. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Yesterday while driving through town I see a lady mowing her lawn. She is using a old crapsmen push mower with side discharge. After she finishes she uses the mower to blow the clippings off of the side walk. Then I hear rocks hitting her house and There is a big cloud of dust. I would of laughed if she broke a window. It was one of the stupidest things I have seen.
  2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

No. Stupid is leaving the mower running and trying to kick the clump of grass out of the discharge with your foot.
  3. metro36

Yeah I guess that is worse.
  4. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you tell me why that is stupid? she was clearing off the sidewalk. You failed to say where she was when the rocks flew.
  5. metro36

She was behind the mower cleaning off the side walk with the discharge chute aimed at her house and almost broke a window by shooting a rock.
  6. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

When you see them break out the chainsaw and extension ladder and set it up on a big old dangerous tree, thats the time to go grab your camera or video recorder....especially if power lines, cars or anything else that can be broken is nearby.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm always giving my mowers so much stick that I rarely have time to notice much else, the machines move way too fast for me to pay attention to anything but...

Thou I do, from time to time, notice the funny neighbor who likes to come out and 'race' me. It used to not bother me, but it got to a point, you know, here they are with the equipment all sitting outside and ready to go, just waiting for me, and soon as I pull up they come RUNNING out and run all around real fast to make sure they get done just before me... Then they walk back inside all smug faced. That I did notice, but it usually takes a few years of servicing one lawn before I even catch on... Once again, that just means I gotta give the machine more stick as soon as they come out, and show them what it's like when I'm the one doing the racing (like finish an acre lot in 30 minutes and stuff like that) - Soon after, they don't do it no more.

But clearing the sidewalk, kinda funny, yeah ...
  8. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I know the thread is what stupid people do but here is what one customer said.
    He comes out of the house after I mowed the front yard and as I mow around the back of the house he is standing on the side waiting for me. I have to mention that it is monday and he usually gets cut on tuesdays. So he asked me whats wrong with my mower. I give him a funny look and some aditude. He said I missed alot of the grass and there were stringgers all over the place. Not being out front I told him that I could go over it again for him. He is a frail old man with some med problems. So I finish the back and go over the front again faulting myself cuz my blades were due for a sharpining. So when I'm done he comes back out and tell me that he just had eye surgery and I look blury to him and he has some double vision. I'm thining to myself what the F. You critisize my work and your seeing double! Get bent old man. Then he tells me that he thinks the lawn looks better when I cut it on tuesdays and not to come on mondays anymore. Raising my mowing price $10 next year and hope he goes away. My buddy told me that he was a customer of his years ago and demanded that the back yard be hand raked for the fall cleanup and then diddn't understand why the bill was so high.
  9. parkeeee

parkeeee LawnSite Member

I have two neighbor stories:

1st neighbor: Every time he goes over his sidewalk, driveway or into the street (no curbs) he will disengage his blades. He has to engage/disengage a minimum of 25-30 times each time he cuts his lawn.

2nd neighbor: This guy cuts in low/low. Takes him half of a Saturday to cut 3/4 acres with a lawn tractor. He might be avoiding his 'better half'.
  10. Dogbonz

Dogbonz LawnSite Senior Member

Being a part time Lawn Guy and full time Stay at home dad, I have found out that in a very small town, as mine is, < bout 2500 people > Most men worth there weight in salt, have there own mowers, "and by god there gonna mower there own yard, as this is there only time away from the nagging old lady!" As such all of my few customers are widow's or single, and 1 army wife.