Stupidest damn thing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DynaMow, May 29, 2006.

1. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

Why oh why do the manufactures of walkbehinds put the blade engage lever on the left side. Everyday I have pine trees disengage my blades. 95% of the time when going around objects (much beds, posts, trees, etc...) I travel with chute facing out. Inevitably thick branches will catch my lever and disengage. Why can't they put this lever on the right side? maybe some do. Thanks just a thought.
  2. YotaNate

YotaNate LawnSite Member

Ferris puts it on the right side, right above the ignition key.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Scags kinda on the right ,i know what you are saying same thing here trees dis engageing the blades.
  4. JT1304

JT1304 LawnSite Member

Toro uses a button, not a lever, but it is on the left.
  5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Thats the worst...especially if you have music playin and dont notice the blades have disengaged. That one is right up there with forgetting to lower the deck before mowing a property then when you are done mowing noticing that you cut NOTHING.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Not mine, only the float decks have the electronic clutch, the fixed deck 48" is a manual lever and yes, tree branches disengage it, which is why I carry fiskar shears and lopers and when the stupid branch gets in my way, snip.

LOL I have never done that but with the music, I leave the Kohler idle for about a minute on the trailer so it cools down some... So I go off to start the weedeater in that time and more than a few times did I go off weedeating just to come back 15-odd minutes later, and yes you know the mower is still running:cry:
  7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Ya, our MTD Pro is on the left also. it's a pain in the a$$:cry:
  8. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

Good case for an overgrowth or obstructions surcharge in your written agreement.

The trees need "limb-up" Craig's, and there's no bonus in your doing it for free.
  9. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Gravely w/b button mounted somewhat center.
  10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I'm with you on this. Both of my Bob-Cats are on the left too. The new ones come with electric clutch buttons though. I'm not sure if the "Classic" uses a clutch or a lever.