stx38

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by tommybishop71, Jun 14, 2008.

1. tommybishop71

tommybishop71 LawnSite Member

I have a 1988 JD STX 38. I am having charging problems. I checked the voltage on the regulator and it is only 13Vac on both outside posts. When i check the center to ground its 12.5vdc. I suspect this is why im not charging, Is it suppose to be arounf 30Vac coming from the stator to the regulator?

2. kawasaki1

kawasaki1 LawnSite Member

when you check the a/c output, unhook the wires from the regulator.

at full throttle you should have at least 28-32 volts a/c.

3. tommybishop71

i had them unhooked and checked it, it seems like when i put it to full throttle it wants to over rev, i was afraid to kick it up that much

4. kawasaki1

definitely make sure the governor's working. if you blow it up the charging problem is moot.;)

if you only have 13 volts a/c at 3300-3600 it sounds like part of the stator shorted. usually when they go out, you won't have any voltage.

5. tommybishop71

ok so i fixed the gov issue. now i can put it at wide open throttle with no worries. tried what you said and it's putting out about 42vac from the stator. putting 13.5vdc from center to ground. i think that the stator is putting too much out but i guess if the battery isnt getting more than 13.5vdc then its not hurting anything right?

6. kawasaki1

that should be fine. it can handle up to 14 volts dc without hurting anything.

you need to check the voltage to the battery with the pto on at wide open. it should be at least 13.5 volts.

if it's below that, it usually a weak battery, bad regulator or the clutch is starting to wear/short out.