Sub 48" ZTR's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sitnduck, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Sitnduck

Sitnduck LawnSite Member

I've been researching the small deck ZTR's and information is still limited.
    I was able to demo the 36" Scag Z-Cat which mowed well but for the price was stripped, compared to the Cub 48" deck.
    Both retail near 6K yet the Cub has a better seat, air cleaner, tires, wheel motors,etc... Kinda made me feel like Scag was profit taking on their new Z-Cat.
    I know many will say "Buy the Cub then" but I need the deck to stay below 48".
    The two top runners have ended up being the Gravely PM44 (larger twin of the now famous 34) and the Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle 44".
    These are totally different animals with pros and cons for each.
    So far unable to get demos on either. (Fla. in the summer, just shut-up and buy what we got mentality)
    I am holding back my purchase due to this lack of demo's.
    There are other good candidates out there. Many do not have dealer support in my area.
    I would like to hear from those who have experience with this size of equipment and to get their impressions/ pros and cons, etc.
  2. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

The Silver Eagles have homeowner warranties and dont compare to the other Dixies
  3. Sitnduck

Sitnduck LawnSite Member

The Gravely PM44 runs the 34 Z small frame with larger tires and motor.
    17 hp Kaw, has large trim edges, maybe too large. Anyone having scalping issues?
    This frame is light compared to the PM144Z that Gravely also puts this deck on. I can actually pick up the PM44Z's front by myself without much problem.
    Some may think this is not important, but if you have ever picked-up some rope or an old rug, T-shirt, etc. in your blades while mowing heavy growth and it wraps those blades.....(I found this out with the Scag Z-Cat. Yes, it can also be lifted for blade clearing. Sucked a buried old rug right out of the dirt and stalled the engine.)
    I prefer keeping the weight down, and the PM44Z suceeds at this.
    But again, this being an entry level Z, you get a base air cleaner, well fitted but low end seat without cushioning or suspension, etc.
    Maintenance looks fairly well laid out on this deck. Any owners able to comment?
    A negative on the side discharge, it does not fold fully back to clear gates and appears to add 3+ inches. Probably need to buy the mulch plate for clearance.
    Gravely PM44Z retail $4900 before tax.
    The Dixies are out of stock(New 2006's are now being shipped) and I can only run on comments on what owners have posted and on the stats of the unit.
    24 hp Generac, upgraded air cleaner, oil cooler, OCDC.
    Unit is liked by many owners and is not stripped.
    This unit will probably weigh quite a bit more then the Gravely.
    I also do not have any experience with the Generac brand of motors and would like to hear comparisons with the Kaw.
    The HP difference is significant but looks like overkill?.
    Dealer support will be weaker, but many units are not well supported here.
    I might be able to get this one for a demo in a few weeks, depends on if dealer can sell these without first demoing.
    Retail price $5595 before tax.
    Thanks in advance for your comments.
  4. Sitnduck

Sitnduck LawnSite Member

Oh yeah, and Dixie does have the weaker warranty. Thanks Splatz!
    I will probably only put 100 to 150 hours on per year so it will not be run as hard as a full commercial front line mower.
  5. 026TB4U

026TB4U LawnSite Member

Take a look at the Ferris 1500Z. I demoed both a Gravely and a Dixie and ended up buying the Ferris.
  6. Zmaster25

Zmaster25 LawnSite Member

I would take a look at the Toro 100 Series the 19 HP 44" a buddy of mine has one and loves it but it has the SFS deck not the Turbo Force Deck
    Just my .02
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yep.... or the 19/44" Lazer HP
    Or the Hustler Z/Super Z 44"
    Or the Gravely PM144Z

These are not stripped models.
  8. 026TB4U

026TB4U LawnSite Member

Out of curiosity, what does a Toro 100 go for. I looked at Exmark, Hustler, Gravely, and Dixie, but didn't price Toro.

Out of all the machines listed in the last two posts, I think the super mini Z is most comparable to the 1500Z because it includes the suspension seat. But last time I checked they were a lot more money. Also, none the above machines have a suspension but that's a whole other debate.
  9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

here in my area the 48 inch is 5000, the 44 inch is much more,,, go figure
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well... if you look real hard into the fine details you will find that the Hustler Super Mini Z is a whole lot more mower too. Everything is a bit better, stronger, faster, more heavy duty, ect...

You can step down to the standard Hustler Mini Z which has a slower, more equal drive system. But I think you have to 'add' the suspension seat to that model and by the time you do, most see the better value of the Super, but of course this depends on dealer pricing.