1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sub contract some mowing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by burnandreturn, Aug 16, 2004.

1. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

I had a man contact me regarding doing some mowing for me on a sub contractual basis. Wanted to know if I would sub some work to him. He would sign a non-compete contract. He had all his own equipment, truck, trailer, everything. I could just give him a list and addresses and he'd mow them. I would do the billing and pay him a percentage. What would be the downside to this kind of arrangement? I 've known him a long time and he's very honest and reputable.
  2. eric22

eric22 LawnSite Member

why don't you guys just be partners in it?
  3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Let's see... You do 0 work, and collect a check off of his work? Sounds like capitalism at it's finest!! I'd say if you know the guy, he agree's to your terms, etc..( you get the picture, he's on the level with you..) I'd jump on it if you've got the work, and are overloaded...That's just my nickel......
  4. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like a good arrangement to me, I do this with a guy who has a tractor and slasher, win, win.
  5. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

There will only be one marriage in my life. The rest I want to be able to fire without lawyers!

In sub contracting the work I don't have to have workers comp. ins. He maintains his own liability and I mine. Checking tomorrow to see how I'm covered that way. I don't have to deal with withholding's and such. I don't have enough mowing to keep a full time employee but I have other things I do so it would be good to have the help.
  6. Jim Feder

Jim Feder LawnSite Member

We have a company here thats all they do and they make lots of cash They were on cover of lawn & landscape.:eek:

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, if you know the guy and can vouch for his work, why not? It benefits both of you.