1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

sub contracting fert and pesticides

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by touhey33, Feb 8, 2005.

1. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

I plan on only doing mowing, eding, trimming, cleanups, mulch, and misc. jobs, and do not have time to do fert and pest. or get the liscense which requires me to work under a liscened applicator for a year. My question is how does this work should i just call the applicator and have them do the job, then pay them, and collect from the customer. Should i advertise i do fert even though i don't and plan on subbing it out. This is a new process for me and just want to do the best i can.
  2. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Do you know how to price out the lawn for fert work I assume you want to make something for yourself? If so if you price to low you wonÂ’t get any takers and if you over price you may not only lose the fert account but the lawn account as well. When the guy screws up is your insurance going to cover a pesticide claim. Even if you sub it out you will need the extra insurance. I understand you want to offer a full service but do you really need to the one thing I have learned is I hate being a middleman and will not put myself in that situation. Do what you are good at and are trained for and let the professionals do what you are not trained for. Its the same with tree work if your not a tree work what are you doing bidding on the job.
  3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

It depends on your state laws. I sub my ferts and apps out, but I cannot advertise for that service. The sub does the work, sends me a bill, and I in turn bill the customer.